How should I start my statement of purpose for Ph.D. programs?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who recently completed their masters in mechanical engineering and is now applying to Ph.D. programs. They are wondering whether they should include a quote from Dr. Suess in their statement of purpose, as they did in their masters application. Some suggest leaving it out, while others mention the risk of it looking like they are trying to fill up space. Ultimately, the person decides to leave out the quote for now, but may consider using it once they have achieved success in their field.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I recently completed my masters of science in mechanical engineering and am applying to Ph.D. programs. I am wondering how to begin my statement of purpose. For my masters I began with a quote from Dr. Suess. However, now I have very specific research endeavors and know precisely who I want to work with and what I want to study.

Should I begin with Dr. Suess to distinguish my application or is this unnecessary space I'd be using. The quote is

My alphabet starts with this letter called yuzz. It's the letter I use to spell yuzz-a-ma-tuzz. You'll be sort of surprised what there is to be found once you go beyond 'Z' and start poking around!

Dr. Suess highlights in three sentences why I want to study...blah blah blah.

Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, on one hand, it worked before.

However, usually the people on admissions committees aren't looking for you to display your creative side on these things - at least not in physics (I assume engineering would be similar). The major risk is that something like this looks like you're trying to fill up space because you don't have anything more relevant to talk about.

I would cut it out.

To quote Crash Davis in Bull Durham, "Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the Show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the Show, however, it means you are a slob."

When you win 20 in the Show, you can quote Doctor Suess.

Likes DrClaude
Thanks you guys! I'll leave it out.

Related to How should I start my statement of purpose for Ph.D. programs?

1. What is a statement of purpose and why is it important?

A statement of purpose is a document that outlines your academic and professional goals, as well as your motivation for pursuing a particular field of study. It is important because it gives admissions committees insight into your background, interests, and future aspirations.

2. What should be included in a statement of purpose?

A statement of purpose should include your personal and academic background, your research interests, your career goals, and your reasons for choosing the specific program or institution. It should also highlight any relevant experiences or skills that make you a strong candidate.

3. How long should a statement of purpose be?

This can vary depending on the program or institution, but generally a statement of purpose should be 1-2 pages in length. It is important to follow any specific guidelines provided by the program or institution.

4. Can I use the same statement of purpose for multiple applications?

It is not recommended to use the same statement of purpose for multiple applications. Each program or institution may have different requirements and it is important to tailor your statement of purpose to each one.

5. How can I make my statement of purpose stand out?

To make your statement of purpose stand out, be specific and provide examples to support your statements. Show your passion and enthusiasm for the field of study and highlight any unique experiences or skills that make you a strong candidate. It is also important to proofread and edit your statement of purpose to ensure it is well-written and error-free.