How Should Cable Be Laid to Minimize Costs Across a River?

• Thread starter shreena03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary: The equation for the distance across the river is:distance across = (distance along shore) x (cost per meter underwater)
shreena03
An underground telephone cable is to be laid btwn 2 boathourses on opposite banks of a straight river. One boathouse is 600 meters downstream from the other. The river is 200 meters wide. If the cost of laying cable is $150 per metere underwater and $80 per metere on land, how should the cable be laid to minimize cost?

Can someone help me figure this out and show how they did it?

Thank u so much if u can.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shreena03 said:
An underground telephone cable is to be laid btwn 2 boathourses on opposite banks of a straight river. One boathouse is 600 meters downstream from the other. The river is 200 meters wide. (See Figure 35). If the cost of laying cable is $150 per metere underwater and $80 per metere on land, how should the cable be laid to minimize cost?

Can someone help me figure this out and show how they did it?

Thank u so much if u can.

It is not the policy of this site to simply do homework for people. You will not be able to come here to request a solution during your test.

What you need to do is find an expression for the total length of the wire. Consider that you must cross the river, so start by drawing yourself a picture of the situation. Can you find an expression for the distance across the river in terms of the distance along the shore. You have all the information required to do this.

Show us what you are thinking.

Think of it this way.

Draw a diagram. Think of the possibilities. There are really three. Do you take the hypotenuse route straight to it? Or do you go directly across the water, then along the opposite side?

Or perhaps you land somewhere between and carry on the rest from that point?

Find an equation. What are you looking for? The cost of it. What do you want to do? Minimize or maximize?

Related to How Should Cable Be Laid to Minimize Costs Across a River?

1. How can I get help with my assignment?

There are several options for getting help with your assignment. You can reach out to your teacher or professor for clarification or extra resources. You can also ask a classmate or study group for assistance. Additionally, many schools have tutoring services available for students.

2. Can I hire someone to complete my assignment for me?

No, hiring someone to complete your assignment for you would be considered cheating and goes against academic integrity. It is important to do your own work and seek help when needed.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with my assignment?

If you are struggling with your assignment, the first step is to identify what specifically you are having trouble with. Then, reach out to your teacher or a classmate for clarification or additional resources. You can also utilize online resources or tutoring services for extra help.

4. What happens if I don't submit my assignment on time?

It is important to communicate with your teacher or professor if you are unable to submit your assignment on time. Depending on the circumstances, they may allow you to submit it late with a penalty or provide an extension. However, it is best to try to complete and submit your assignment on time to avoid any issues.

5. How important is it to complete and submit my assignment?

Completing and submitting your assignment is an important part of your academic journey. It not only helps you learn and understand the material better, but it also shows your dedication and effort to your education. Additionally, assignments are often graded and contribute to your overall grade in a course.