How shape of pattern affects the behaviour of light

• Thread starter nicolauslamsiu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Shape
In summary, chameleons are able to change the color of their skin by changing the structural arrangement of cell layers. This is due to the fact that the shape of patterns of particles can affect how light behaves when it strikes an object. The space between special lattice atoms allows for the reflection of certain frequencies of light, with an excited chameleon having a lattice that reflects both for color change and thermoregulation. The relaxed state of the atoms allows for the absorption of most colors, but a yellow pigment mixed with the relaxed blue creates the typical green color. Some experts suggest that the phenomenon is due to the formation of photonic crystals and their band gaps, which control the propagation of certain wavelengths. It is unclear if interference or absorption
nicolauslamsiu
chameleon can change the colour of its skin by changing the structural arrangement of cell layers. I found someone said that the shape of patterns of particles can determine how the light behaves when striking the object. I wonder how it works?

Science news on Phys.org
I think the simple explanation is that the space between special lattice atoms is more likely to reflect a photon of light, more so with lower frequency waves. An excited chameleon has a lattice which not only reflects to change color but also to reflect near-infrared light for thermoregulation. When they relax the absorbing atoms are closer together which reflect blue higher frequency photons but absorb most others. They have a yellow pigment to begin with mixed with the relaxed blue makes the typical green.

I've also heard that it is possibly due to the formation of photonic crystals and photonic crystals have band gap which can control the propagation of certain wavelength. I want to know how it can control the wavelength that can propagate through the crystals. Is it something related to bragg's law?

I'm not sure if interference or just simply absorption is the primary mechanism. It seems to me absorption is necessary for them to use near-infrared for heat, but I really don't know enough specifics to have a reliable answer.

Related to How shape of pattern affects the behaviour of light

1. How does the shape of a pattern affect the direction of light?

The shape of a pattern can affect the direction of light in several ways. For example, a convex lens can bend light towards a focal point, while a concave lens can spread the light out. Additionally, certain patterns can act as diffraction gratings, causing light to diffract and change direction as it passes through the pattern.

2. Can the shape of a pattern change the color of light?

Yes, the shape of a pattern can affect the color of light through a phenomenon called interference. When light passes through a pattern with regularly spaced slits or holes, it can interfere with itself, causing certain colors of light to be amplified or cancelled out, resulting in a different color being observed.

3. How does the shape of a pattern impact the intensity of light?

The shape of a pattern can affect the intensity of light through factors such as reflection, absorption, and scattering. Some patterns may reflect or absorb more light than others, resulting in a difference in intensity. In addition, certain patterns may cause light to scatter in different directions, leading to variations in intensity.

4. Can the shape of a pattern influence the speed of light?

While the shape of a pattern itself does not directly impact the speed of light, it can affect the medium through which light travels. Different patterns can have varying effects on the density and refractive index of a medium, which can ultimately influence the speed of light passing through it.

5. How does the shape of a pattern affect the polarization of light?

The shape of a pattern can affect the polarization of light, particularly when light passes through a material with regularly aligned molecules. In this case, the pattern can act as a polarizer, causing light waves to oscillate in a specific direction and resulting in polarized light. The specific shape and orientation of the pattern can determine the resulting polarization of the light.