How relativity could explain this engineering problem.

In summary: One thing to note is that structures are designed to handle a certain stress, not a certain mass. The material stress is part of the stress-energy tensor, which is a very important object in relativity, particularly general relativity. Because it is a tensor, you should be able to express the failure condition in terms of tensors, which would guarantee that all frames will agree on the failure condition. The mass condition is just a simplification of the real failure condition, and only applies at rest.
duri
This is a thought experiment but not very academic.

Assume a satellite solar panel was critically designed in such a way that even 10% increase in mass would result in hinge attachment failure.
Assume some inertial frame (A) in a distant planet or space ship, at some part of its course it sees the satellite solar panel is at a relative velocity very close to light speed and when they measure the mass it is twice than that of the designed mass.
So, mass measured from Earth is design mass 'm'. Mass measured from inertial frame A is '2m'. According to engineers in Earth solar panel should work fine, but engineers at inertial frame A would say it should fail.

What will happen to solar panel?
My answer is solar panel will not fail. Then how physicist in the inertial frame A could explain this.

Physics news on Phys.org
duri said:
What will happen to solar panel?
My answer is solar panel will not fail.
Hi duri, welcome to PF!

My answer is that it will fail since anything designed with only a 10% margin of safety will inevitably fail. However, my answer has nothing to do with relativistic effects, and is just a comment on engineering.

Your instincts are correct as far as relativity goes. If it does not fail at rest then it will not fail traveling inertially at any speed. This is guaranteed by the first postulate of relativity without even having to do any further detailed analysis.

One thing to note is that structures are designed to handle a certain stress, not a certain mass. The material stress is part of the stress-energy tensor, which is a very important object in relativity, particularly general relativity. Because it is a tensor, you should be able to express the failure condition in terms of tensors, which would guarantee that all frames will agree on the failure condition. The mass condition is just a simplification of the real failure condition, and only applies at rest.

Also, you may not be aware, but the concept of relativistic mass has pretty much been discarded by modern physicists. The term "mass" usually refers to "invariant mass" which is the same in all frames.

Please don't bother about how mass acts as load. This is possible in several scenarios. Assume solar panel attached to circular rod, which can take some centrifugal stress (Tensile stress to the rod). Or vibrating solar panel. Solar panel as load and connecting rod as beam. In all cases mass is the contributor to stress and additional mass will add to stress.

DaleSpam said:
Hi duri, welcome to PF!
Because it is a tensor, you should be able to express the failure condition in terms of tensors, which would guarantee that all frames will agree on the failure condition.

Hi Dale, I can't agree this, tensor is a mathematical concept and its a tool to handle few class of problem. Just because of tensor nature i can't assume relativity equations can handle this kind of stress. Because take fluid and solid, though both enjoys the same tensor quantities like normal and shear their behavior is very different in nature.

DaleSpam said:
Also, you may not be aware, but the concept of relativistic mass has pretty much been discarded by modern physicists. The term "mass" usually refers to "invariant mass" which is the same in all frames.

Yes Dale, I not aware of this. Do you mean mass will not change with speed?. Then, is reaching speed of light possible?.

If you bolt a chair to the satellite and go with it to carefully monitor the mass and mechanical performance of the panel and hinge, you will not be able to measure any differences among any of the reference frames the craft finds itself in.

Last edited:
duri said:
Hi Dale, I can't agree this, tensor is a mathematical concept and its a tool to handle few class of problem.
So is everything in physics and engineering. This argument could be applied to every aspect.

duri said:
Yes Dale, I not aware of this. Do you mean mass will not change with speed?. Then, is reaching speed of light possible?.
Yes, mass (in modern usage) does not change with speed. No, you cannot reach light speed: the energy required would be infinite, even with constant mass.

Last edited:

Related to How relativity could explain this engineering problem.

What is relativity and how does it relate to engineering problems?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. In engineering, it can be used to understand the effects of gravity, motion, and energy on objects and systems.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects that are moving at a constant speed, while general relativity considers objects that are accelerating or under the influence of gravity. Both theories play a role in explaining engineering problems.

How can relativity be applied to solve engineering problems?

Relativity can be used to calculate the effects of gravity, motion, and energy on objects in engineering systems. It can also help engineers design more accurate and efficient systems by taking into account the principles of relativity.

Can relativity help with space travel and exploration?

Yes, relativity is crucial in understanding the physics of space travel. It allows us to calculate the effects of gravity and motion on spacecraft and astronauts, and it has been used to make predictions and corrections in space missions.

Is relativity a proven theory and widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, relativity has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations. It is considered one of the most successful and accepted theories in modern physics.