How refrigerators and air conditioners work

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of the expansion valve in refrigerators and air conditioners. It is responsible for allowing the liquid freon or ammonia to expand and return to a gaseous state, which helps cool the surrounding area. The conversation also mentions the use of He as a refrigerant for lower temperatures and the process of heating a liquid in order for it to vaporize.
ProPM
Hi,

I was looking at how refrigerators and air conditioners work as part of thermodynamics and I came across the expansion valve.

I am a bit confused. From what I understand, there is this expansion valve. When the liquid freon, or ammonia as used as an example in this website, goes through the evaporator it returns to the gaseous state. But, if the gas is allowed to expand, won't it do work at the expense of it's own internal energy, and, therefore, cool, and, if it cools, how come does it become a gas and not a solid?

I think the answer why is pretty simple but I just can't see it! :redface:

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

It does cool but not enough to turn solid.

(this is why you don't use CO2 as a refrigerant. If you need to get down to really low temps, you use He. It won't solidify until close to zero K.)

But how does it boil and vaporizes? We need to heat a liquid to vaporize it, right?

In order for the working fluid to expand, it must absorb heat from the surroundings. This is why A/C units and refrigerators cool.

the heat you are talking about is taken from the things (and air) kept in the refrigerator, thus cooling them.

Related to How refrigerators and air conditioners work

1. How do refrigerators and air conditioners cool things down?

Refrigerators and air conditioners use a process called refrigeration to cool down items. This process involves compressing a refrigerant gas, such as Freon, in a closed system. When the gas is compressed, its temperature rises. Then, the compressed gas is passed through a set of coils, known as the condenser, where it releases heat and turns into a liquid. The liquid then travels through an expansion valve, where it expands and evaporates, absorbing heat from the surrounding air. This allows the inside of the refrigerator or air conditioner to cool down.

2. What is the role of the compressor in refrigerators and air conditioners?

The compressor is a crucial component in the refrigeration process. It is responsible for compressing the refrigerant gas, which increases its temperature and pressure. This allows the gas to release heat and turn into a liquid. Without the compressor, the refrigeration process would not be possible, and the refrigerator or air conditioner would not be able to cool things down.

3. How does the thermostat control the temperature in refrigerators and air conditioners?

The thermostat is a temperature-sensitive switch that monitors the temperature inside the refrigerator or air conditioner. When the temperature rises above the desired level, the thermostat signals the compressor to turn on and start the refrigeration process. Once the temperature reaches the desired level, the thermostat signals the compressor to turn off. This cycle repeats to maintain a consistent temperature.

4. What is the purpose of the evaporator in refrigerators and air conditioners?

The evaporator is responsible for absorbing heat from the surrounding air, which allows the inside of the refrigerator or air conditioner to cool down. It is a set of coils that the liquid refrigerant travels through as it expands and evaporates. As the liquid refrigerant absorbs heat, it turns back into a gas, and the cycle continues.

5. How do refrigerators and air conditioners remove humidity from the air?

Refrigerators and air conditioners not only cool down the air but also remove moisture, or humidity, from it. As the warm air is pulled into the system, it comes into contact with the cold evaporator coils. This causes the moisture in the air to condense and collect on the coils. The resulting water droplets then drain out of the system, leaving the air inside drier and more comfortable.