How Often Should Steps Be Sized to Eliminate Expansion Loops in Sloped Pipework?

In summary, The speaker is working on a system that requires expansion loops and has found formulae on engineering toolbox.com and Spirax Sarco website for determining the size and placement of the loops. They are struggling to understand the relationship between pipe steps and the need for expansion loops. They are also looking for more reliable references for their project. The speaker also mentions the use of Caesar pipe stress software and the operating temperature range of 15 to ca. 300 degC. They are unsure of the number and size of loops needed for their project.
thearny2
I am working on a system that requires expansion loops. I have located formulae on engineering toolbox.com and the spirax sarco website for determining the size of the loops required. So a 2m wide loop needs to be 4m tall, and I need one every 17m, roughly.

What I struggling to get my head around is if I am stepping my pipe down a hill, what size and how often do I need a step to negate the requirement for expansion loops altogether. For some reason my mind can't piece this together. Does anybody have a view on the relationship?

My other question is, my aforementioned references, whilst useful, are hardly rock solid. Does anybody have a suggestion for references with a more defined foundation?

All ideas appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The formulas in Spirax Sarco are useful but very conservative.

A 90 deg step down a hill will not be as affective as a loop of course.

I am fortunate I have access to the Caesar pipe stress software for these things.

What is your operating temperature.

From 15 to ca. 300 degC. I think there is about 30 com expansion in 50 m. The question is how many loops of what size do I need.

I keep getting a 4m high by 2m wide loop (twice), which intuitively seems massive to me, or a number of smaller ones.

Related to How Often Should Steps Be Sized to Eliminate Expansion Loops in Sloped Pipework?

1. What are expansion loops in pipework?

Expansion loops in pipework are designed to absorb the thermal expansion and contraction that occurs in piping systems due to changes in temperature.

2. Why are expansion loops necessary in pipework?

Expansion loops are necessary in pipework to prevent damage to the piping system caused by thermal expansion, which can lead to leaks, breakages, and other costly issues.

3. How do expansion loops work?

Expansion loops work by providing a flexible section in the piping system that allows for movement and expansion without putting stress on the pipes. This is typically achieved through the use of loops or bends in the piping.

4. Where are expansion loops typically used in pipework?

Expansion loops are typically used in long straight pipes, such as in steam or hot water distribution systems, as well as in areas where there are significant temperature fluctuations.

5. How are expansion loops sized and designed?

Expansion loops are sized and designed based on the expected thermal expansion of the piping system, as well as the available space and limitations of the surrounding structure. Factors such as pipe material, temperature range, and pressure must also be considered in the design process.