How odometer works in physics ?

In summary, an odometer measures the distance traveled by a vehicle and can be either mechanical or electronic. Mechanical odometers use a gear system to track tire rotation, while electronic odometers utilize data from the drivetrain, such as engine rpm and gear selection. Additional information can be found in the Wikipedia articles on odometers and speedometers.
haleh
How odometer works in physics ??

I get a problem ,my university professor for physics 1 ask me to search about work of odometer in physical view ,I mean he doesn't want to describe the mechanical or electronic odometers !he wants me to write physical formulas and measure the distance which cars travel the same as what odometer does !and it should be at least 4 page . I some how search and I understand that electronic or mechanical ones measure the rpm of wheels and then convert this to kilometer or mile and this can be like this : number of revolution * radius of wheel * 2 * pi
but I some how confused that rpm is not number of revolution ,Is there any timer in cars? or maybe I am completely wrong and my professor wants other things so what do you suggest me to search about ?and is there any link ,book you can suggest me ? any idea ??

Physics news on Phys.org

Mechanical odometers are just geared so that rotation of the tires results in advancement of the odometer based on the assumed radius of the tire. The input could be from somewhere in the drivetrain or from one of the axles of the non-driven wheels (like a bicycle's odometer / speedometer driven by a gear attached to the front wheel axle).

Electronic odometers may use drivetrain related data, such as engine rpm plus what gear the car is in (as well as the expected tire radius).

Wiki articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odometer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

Related to How odometer works in physics ?

1. How does an odometer measure distance traveled?

An odometer uses a gear system to record the number of rotations of the wheel. The distance traveled is then calculated by multiplying the number of rotations by the circumference of the wheel.

2. Can an odometer be affected by changes in tire size?

Yes, an odometer can be affected by changes in tire size. If the tire size is larger, the odometer will record a shorter distance traveled. Similarly, if the tire size is smaller, the odometer will record a longer distance traveled.

3. How does an odometer account for turns and curves?

An odometer does not measure distance traveled based on turns and curves. It only records the number of rotations of the wheel. The distance traveled is calculated based on the assumption that the vehicle is travelling on a flat surface.

4. Can an odometer be reset or tampered with?

Yes, an odometer can be reset or tampered with. This can be done manually by manipulating the gears or electronically through the vehicle's computer system. It is illegal to tamper with an odometer and is considered fraud.

5. How accurate is an odometer?

The accuracy of an odometer depends on various factors such as the condition of the vehicle's tires, the terrain, and the speed at which the vehicle is traveling. Generally, odometers are accurate within a range of 2-4%. However, over time, wear and tear can affect the accuracy of an odometer.