How much work is done on the crate by friction?

In summary: Is my understanding of the equation incorrect?In summary, a worker pushes a 35.0-kg crate at constant speed by applying a force of 85.75 N at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal. The work done on the crate by this force is 428.75 N. The work done on the crate by friction is also 428.75 N, and the work done by the normal force and gravity is 0. The y-component of the force affects the friction as it is included in the calculation of the normal force. The correct magnitude of force that the worker must apply is 116 N.
courtrigrad
A factory worker pushes a 35.0-kg crate a distance of 5.0 m along a level floor at constant speed by pushing horizontally on it. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.25. (a) What magnitude of force must the worker apply? (b) How much work is done on the crate by this force? (c) How much work is done on the crate by friction? (d) How much work is done my the normal force? By gravity?
Ok so because the crate is being pushed at constant speed, [tex] \Sigma F_{x} = 0 [/tex] and [tex] \Sigma F_{y} = 0 [/tex]. For part (a) wouldn't the force the worker has to apply be equal to [tex] f_{k} = \mu_{k} n = (0.25)(343 N) = 85.75 N [/tex]?

(b) Since [tex] W = f\bullet s [/tex], [tex] W = 85.75\times\cos 0\times(5.0 m) = 428.75 N [/tex]. In part (c) would this just be the same answer, but opposite sign?

(d) The work would be 0, because the forces are perpendicular to the path of the box?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that forces at right angles to the direction of movement don't do any work.

If the worker pushes downward at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal, (a) What magnitude of force must the worker apply to move the crate at constant speed?

SinceI know the the horizontal component of the force is [tex] 85.75 N [/tex], shouldn't we be able to find the force by: [tex] F\cos 30 = 85.75 N [/tex]? When I solve for F I get about 100N. The answer is 116N. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

How does the y-component of the force effect the friction?

The y-component in addition to the weight of the crate serve as the normal force. In other words, [tex] f_{k} = \mu_{k}(F_{y}+w) [/tex]. Is this correct?

So would the force equal the friction forcE?

any ideas?

thanks

I just plugged in the correct answer, 116N and received [tex] 116\times cos 30 = 100 [/tex]. I was getting 100 before.

Related to How much work is done on the crate by friction?

1. How is work defined in terms of physics?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied on an object multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied. In other words, it is the energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on it.

2. What is the role of friction in determining the amount of work done on a crate?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. When a crate is being pushed or pulled, friction acts in the opposite direction, making it harder to move the crate. The amount of work done on the crate by friction depends on the magnitude of the frictional force and the displacement of the crate.

3. How can the work done by friction be calculated?

The work done by friction can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance the object moves in the direction of the frictional force. This can be expressed as W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the displacement of the object.

4. What factors can affect the amount of work done on a crate by friction?

The amount of work done on a crate by friction can be affected by various factors such as the type of surface the crate is moving on, the weight of the crate, and the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface. Other factors that can affect the amount of work done include the speed of the crate and the angle of the surface.

5. Can work done by friction be positive or negative?

The work done by friction can be both positive and negative depending on the direction of the displacement of the object. If the displacement is in the same direction as the frictional force, the work done will be positive. However, if the displacement is in the opposite direction, the work done will be negative.