How Much Work Is Done on a Mass by a Time-Varying Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a time-varying horizontal force applied to a 10.0 kg mass for 5 seconds. The force is given by F(t) = (1.00 t + 0.250 t^2) Newtons and the question is how much work is done on the mass during this time. The solution involves using the integral W= ∫ F dx and results in a final answer of 26.3. However, the formula W=Pf^2/2M is also mentioned, but it is noted that this is only applicable when the initial velocity is 0.
XwakeriderX

Homework Statement

A time-varying horizontal force is given by,
F(t) = (1.00 t + 0.250 t^2) Newtons
The force is applied from 0 to 5.00 seconds on a 10.0 kg mass which is initially at rest but is allowed to slide freely with only this one horizontal force acting on it. How much work is done on the mass by force F during the 5 seconds?

Homework Equations

W=Integral (from Xi to Xf) Fxdx

The Attempt at a Solution

W=(t^2)/2 + (t^3)/12 from 0 to 5
W=22.917

That is what i got from integrating.. But the answer is 26.3

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi XwakeriderX! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
XwakeriderX said:
A time-varying horizontal force is given by,
F(t) = (1.00 t + 0.250 t^2) Newtons
The force is applied from 0 to 5.00 seconds on a 10.0 kg mass which is initially at rest but is allowed to slide freely with only this one horizontal force acting on it. How much work is done on the mass by force F during the 5 seconds?

W=Integral (from Xi to Xf) Fxdx

W=(t^2)/2 + (t^3)/12 from 0 to 5

No, that's ∫ F dt, and (as you say) you need ∫ F dx …

try again :smile:

Ah okay i got it! i used impulse then apllied W=Pf^2/2M

XwakeriderX said:
Ah okay i got it! i used impulse then apllied W=Pf^2/2M

remember of course that this isn't a general formula, it works here only because vi = 0 …

generally ∆W = ((vi + P)2 - vi2)/2m = (P2 + 2viP)/2m :wink:

Joules.

I would like to point out that your approach and calculation are correct, but there may be some rounding errors or differences in the units used that could result in a slightly different answer. It is also possible that the given answer of 26.3 Joules is an approximation or rounded value. In any case, your understanding and application of the relevant equations and concepts is commendable. Keep up the good work.

Related to How Much Work Is Done on a Mass by a Time-Varying Force?

What is the definition of work done on mass by force?

Work done on mass by force is a physical concept that describes the amount of energy transferred to an object when a force is applied to it, causing it to move over a certain distance.

How is work done on mass by force calculated?

The formula for calculating work done on mass by force is W = F * d, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents distance.

What is the unit of measurement for work done on mass by force?

The unit of measurement for work done on mass by force is joules (J), which is equivalent to 1 newton-meter.

How does the direction of the force affect the work done on mass by force?

The direction of the force applied to an object affects the work done on mass by force. If the force and the direction of motion of the object are in the same direction, then the work done is positive. If the force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions, then the work done is negative.

Can work done on mass by force be negative?

Yes, work done on mass by force can be negative if the force and the direction of motion of the object are in opposite directions. This means that the object is losing energy and its motion is being slowed down.