How much work done by friction? (coefficient given)

In summary, the crate is pushed up an inclined plane by a worker, and the coefficient of friction is 0.20. The force of friction is what does the work, and the crate is pushed at a constant horizontal speed.
Lothar
Hello everyone,
I've been working on this problem for the last hour and a half. My teacher has asked us to calculate the work done by friction on an inclined plane. This is the problem:
A worker pushes a crate weighing W = 95 N up an inclined plane. The worker pushes the crate horizontally, parallel to the ground, as illustrated in Figure 10-21.
physics.gif

(c) The coefficient of friction is µ = 0.20. How much work is done by friction? (Be careful with the signs you use.)

How do I do this? We have not learned anything about coefficient of friction in my class.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why you continue in this thread, since I answered you in the other thread...

Friction = coefficient of friction * Normal force

So I would say, calculate the normal force, use the given coefficient of friction and there you have it. W=Fs, so multiply by s to find the work done by the force of friction.

Hi Lothar,

You first need to calculate the force exerted due to friction, the equation for this can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

Have you been supplied with a distance that the crate is pushed?

@ ImAnEngineer
I understand that that is the formula. I don't know how to use it though. And I moved this to a new topic because I new that people would back away from a long topic (my last one), and if they did click it, they would not spend the time reading all the way to my new question.

@ astrorob
No I was not supplied with a distance. I put all information known in the first post.
I do have the amount of work done by friction though, as well as the amount of work done if a man pushes at a certain force.

astrorob said:
Hi Lothar,
Have you been supplied with a distance that the crate is pushed?
It's in the figure; 5m.

Lothar said:
@ ImAnEngineer
I understand that that is the formula. I don't know how to use it though.
How could you not understand how to use it? Just fill it in... Or do you not know how to find the normal force? In that case, how about drawing the resultant vector of F and W first?

Related to How much work done by friction? (coefficient given)

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and can be caused by various factors such as roughness, adhesion, and deformation.

How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It is a dimensionless quantity that varies depending on the materials and surfaces in contact.

What is the relationship between coefficient of friction and work done by friction?

The coefficient of friction is directly proportional to the work done by friction. This means that as the coefficient of friction increases, the amount of work done by friction also increases.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the efficiency of a machine?

The coefficient of friction plays a critical role in the efficiency of a machine. A higher coefficient of friction can lead to more energy being lost to friction, resulting in a lower efficiency. Many engineers strive to reduce friction in machines to increase their efficiency.

How does the coefficient of friction change between different surfaces or materials?

The coefficient of friction is unique to each combination of surfaces or materials. It can vary significantly between different surfaces due to factors such as roughness, adhesion, and lubrication. For example, the coefficient of friction between rubber and metal is higher than that between ice and ice.