How Much Work Does It Take to Drive a Screw into Wood?

In summary, the torque required to turn a screw into a block of wood increases linearly with the depth of penetration. To find the total work required to drive in the screw, we need to integrate the torque equation from 0 to the maximum depth of penetration, using the constant of proportionality k. Using the given information, we can find the value of k and solve the integral to get the total work, which is 2592 Joules in this case.
smhippe

Homework Statement

It takes 20 turns to drive a screw completely into a block of wood. Because the
friction force between the wood and the screw is proportional to the contact area between
the wood and the screw, the torque required for turning the screw increases linearly with
the depth that the screw has penetrated into the wood. If the maximum torque is 12 N m
when the screw is completely in the wood, what is the total work (in Joules) required to
drive in the screw?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to do an integral by finding out how much the torque changed per rotation. Then using that as the equation and the total distance turned to be plugged in.
[tex]\int.6x[/tex] from 0 to 7200. I got a very large number and I don't think I did it right...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I would like to offer some clarification and assistance with your attempt at a solution.

Firstly, your integral seems to be incorrect. The torque required for turning the screw increases linearly with the depth the screw has penetrated, so the equation should be T = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality and x is the depth of penetration. This means that the torque required for each rotation will be different, as the depth of penetration increases with each turn.

To find the total work required to drive in the screw, we need to integrate the torque equation with respect to x, from 0 to the maximum depth of penetration (in this case, 20 turns or 7200 degrees). This will give us the area under the torque curve, which represents the total work done.

However, we need to know the value of k in order to solve the integral. To find this, we can use the given information that the maximum torque is 12 N m when the screw is completely in the wood. This means that when x = 20 turns, T = 12 N m. Plugging these values into our equation, we get 12 = k(20), which gives us k = 0.6 N m/turn.

Now, we can integrate the torque equation \int 0.6x dx from 0 to 7200 to get the total work required. This gives us a value of 2592 Joules.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Much Work Does It Take to Drive a Screw into Wood?

1. What is the definition of "total work done on a screw"?

The total work done on a screw is the amount of energy that is required to rotate the screw to drive it into a surface. It takes into account both the force applied and the distance traveled by the screw.

2. How is the total work done on a screw calculated?

The total work done on a screw is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the screw by the distance the screw is driven into the surface. This can be expressed as W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect the total work done on a screw?

The total work done on a screw can be affected by several factors, such as the size and type of screw, the material of the surface being screwed into, and the amount of friction between the screw and the surface.

4. How does the total work done on a screw relate to its efficiency?

The total work done on a screw is directly related to its efficiency. A more efficient screw will require less work to drive it into a surface, while a less efficient screw will require more work. This is because a more efficient screw will have less friction and therefore require less force to rotate and drive into the surface.

5. Can the total work done on a screw be negative?

Yes, the total work done on a screw can be negative if the screw is being unscrewed or backed out of a surface. In this case, the force applied is in the opposite direction of the distance traveled, resulting in a negative value for work done.