How Much Will Your Annual £1000 Investment Grow in 25 Years with 5% Interest?

And the very first ##A## at the start of year 1 becomes ##A r^24## at the end of year 25. So that's the sum we want. And if you use the usual formula for a geometric sum, you get ##F = A r (r^N - 1)/(r-1)##, which is identical to the formula you came up with.I'm not sure why you called it a "common ratio", though. There's only one interest rate, so it's not really a ratio.
Pual Black

Homework Statement

hello this question is discussed in 2009 but it is closed now

If you invest £1000 on the first day of each year, and interest is paid at 5% on
your balance at the end of each year, how much money do you have after 25
years?

Homework Equations

## S_N=\sum_{n=0}^{N-1} Ar^n##

where N is the last term
r is the common ratio & A is a constant

## S_N= a\frac{1-r^N}{1-r} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

after 25 years i would set N=25 but this will give me a result of £47727. then i have to subtract £1000 because on the first day of each year i invest £1000 therefore i got a result of £46727

but this is the wrong answer

if i set N=26 i will get £51113 and then again subtract £1000
therefore i got a result of £50113 and this is the right answer

my question is why i must put N=26. isn't N the last term and equal to 25?
and is this way of solution right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't follow your equations. "N is the last term"? Wouldn't N be the number of terms/years ?
And then after one year you don't have ##Ar^0## but ##Ar^1##.

Tip: Don't change the notation from one line to the next. A is A, not a.

## S_N= A\frac{1-r^N}{1-r} ## looks weird too. Don't you mean ##
S_N= Ar\frac{\ 1+r^N}{1+r}## so that after 1 year you do have Ar ?

--

Likes Pual Black
BvU said:
Can't follow your equations. "N is the last term"? Wouldn't N be the number of terms/years ?

--

No, his formula is correct as written: ##\sum_{n=0}^N A r^n = A(r^N -1)/(r-1)## is a standard elementary algebra result. Of course, it also equals ##A(1-r^N)/(1-r)##.

Likes Pual Black
Ray Vickson said:
No, his formula is correct as written: ##\sum_{n=0}^N A r^n = A(r^N -1)/(r-1)## is a standard elementary algebra result. Of course, it also equals ##A(1-r^N)/(1-r)##.
If you sum from 0 to N, it is N+1 elements. The correct formula is ##\sum_{n=0}^{N-1} A r^n = A(r^N -1)/(r-1)##

Last edited:
Likes Pual Black
ehild said:
If you sum from 0 to N, it is N+1 element. The correct formula is ##\sum_{n=0}^{N-1} A r^n = A(r^N -1)/(r-1)##

Indeed: that was a typo on my part. I had intended to make the upper summation limit equal N-1, but somehow slipped up.

Likes Pual Black
Sorry for the minus sign - weak moment.

Time to define what A stands for. My impression was that after one year the guy has ##Ar##, not ##
\sum_{n=0}^{0} A r^n = A(r^1 -1)/(r-1) = A##

Time to define what N stands for, too: at the beginning of year 2, they guy has
##
\sum_{n=0}^{1} A r^n = A(r^2 -1)/(r-1) = A(r+1)## and he invests another A ?

I figured r = 1.05 and A = 1000 pounds. Where did I go all wrong ?

$$1000 \,{1.05^{26} - 1\over 1.05 -1} = 51113.45 $$
$$1050 \,{1.05^{25} - 1\over 1.05 -1} = 50113.45 $$ which OP considered the right answer .

The
Pual Black said:
all variables and given/known data
in the template is clearly useful. And includes the list of what values in the problem statement the symbols used stand for ...

:smile:

Last edited:
Likes Pual Black
BvU said:

--

yes you are right N is the number of terms
and i get it now. first i invest £1000 so i have nothing at this moment after one year i have £1000*1.05= £1050
so i start with £1050=Ar

Pual Black said:
yes you are right N is the number of terms
and i get it now. first i invest £1000 so i have nothing at this moment after one year i have £1000*1.05= £1050
so i start with £1050=Ar

Easier: just write it out correctly from the start. If ##r = 1.05##, ##A = 1000## and ##N = 25##, the value you want is the "future value" ##F##:
[tex] F = A r + A r^2 + \cdots + A r^N = A r \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} r^n [/tex]
Basically, the final ##A## at the start of year 25 becomes ##Ar## at the end of year 25. The second-last ##A## at the start of year 24 becomes ##A r^2## at the end of year 25, and so forth.

Likes Pual Black and BvU

Related to How Much Will Your Annual £1000 Investment Grow in 25 Years with 5% Interest?

What is an infinite geometric series?

An infinite geometric series is a series of numbers that continues infinitely, where each term is multiplied by a common ratio to get the next term.

What is the formula for finding the sum of an infinite geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of an infinite geometric series is S = a/(1-r), where 'a' is the first term and 'r' is the common ratio.

How do you determine if an infinite geometric series converges or diverges?

An infinite geometric series converges if the absolute value of the common ratio 'r' is less than 1. If the absolute value of 'r' is greater than or equal to 1, the series diverges.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric series?

A finite geometric series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite geometric series continues infinitely. Additionally, a finite geometric series will have a definite sum, while an infinite geometric series may or may not have a definite sum depending on whether it converges or diverges.

What are some real-world applications of infinite geometric series?

Infinite geometric series can be used to calculate compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. They are also used in computer algorithms and signal processing.