How much will be the gravity of the sun if i make it like a stick

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of ripping the sun into tiny packets and aligning them in a straight line with a 10 cm separation. The gravity at the end of the line is questioned and it is suggested to ask in a general physics forum for assistance with the calculation. It is also mentioned that attempting a GR solution would be difficult and a Google search may provide some helpful information. The importance of showing effort and not expecting others to do calculations is emphasized.
Trojan666ru
If i rip the sun and make it into tiny packets, a size of about a normal house and then align it in a straight line, each box having 10 cm separation, then how strong will be the gravity at the end of the line? Will it have gravity stronger than a normal sun?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Trojan666ru said:
If i rip the sun and make it into tiny packets, a size of about a normal house and then align it in a straight line, each box having 10 cm separation, then how strong will be the gravity at the end of the line?

How would you go about finding the answer to this? Since it is a pointless question, I'm not going to do the calculations for you.

I guess your answer is pointless. I asked a thought experiment. If you don't know the answer/don't want to answer, then ignore the question. My question will get answer from another forum.

I'd suggest asking this in a general physics forum. The relativistic effects will probably be small, and the Newtonian answer will be a lot easier to compute.

Any attempt at a GR solution would be very difficult (you'd probably be best off with some PPN approximation), and you'd need to specify the details of how the sun got held into its unnatural stick shape to even attempt an valid answer.

If you spread out the mass into a continuous distribution along a line, this is (classically) analogous to the electric field from a finite line charge in classical electrostatics. It's a common exercise in E&M classes, and requires only some integral calculus. A Google search will probably turn it up pretty quickly. Just change the constants by comparing Coulomb's law with Newton's law of gravitation.

Wanna? I don't think infantilized writing is helping you make your case.

You are not "asking a thought experiment". You are asking us to do a calculation for you. We're not "gonna" do that for you. That's not how PF operates. If you want help in doing that calculation, we will help you. Please show us how far you got on your own.

Related to How much will be the gravity of the sun if i make it like a stick

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought toward each other. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and is responsible for keeping our feet planted on the ground.

How is gravity measured?

Gravity is typically measured using a scale or balance. The force of gravity on an object is directly proportional to its mass and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

How does the mass of an object affect its gravity?

The more mass an object has, the greater its gravitational pull will be. This is why larger objects, such as planets and stars, have a stronger gravitational force than smaller objects like rocks or humans.

What is the relationship between the shape of an object and its gravity?

The shape of an object does not affect its gravity. As long as the mass of an object remains the same, its gravitational pull will not change regardless of its shape.

What would happen if the sun were shaped like a stick?

If the sun were shaped like a stick, its mass would remain the same and therefore its gravity would not change. However, the sun's rotation and magnetic field could be affected, potentially causing changes in its behavior and impact on surrounding objects.