How Much Weight Can the Crane Safely Lift Without Tipping Over?

In summary, in the first problem, the x-coordinate of the centre of mass is 2000 and in the second problem it is -1948. So, the centre of mass is 2000 + (-1948) = 1899.80 kg and the ball's weight is 1898.80 kg.
lightonahill7

Homework Statement

The figure above is a simple model of a crane. The base has a mass of 2000kg, and the boom has a mass of 200kg. What is the maximum mass of the ball if the crane is not to tip over? Note, in order for the crane to be stable, its center of mass cannot be outside the support base.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 00073d.jpg
    00073d.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 710
Physics news on Phys.org
What do I already know?

m1 (base) = 2000 kg.
x1 = 1 m

m2 (boom) = 200 kg.
x2 = L/2 + 1m
= (6xcos70)/2 + 1 = 2.026 (I do not know if this is right?)

m3 (weight of ball) = ?
x3 = length of boom (2.052m + 1m) = 3.05 (Am I right?)

SumCMx = (m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3)/ m1 + m2 + m3

This is where I am getting stuck. Are we to assume that the three CM should be added together to equal zero of should the base be on the left side of the equation and the boom and weight be on the right side to solve for m3?

hi lightonahill7! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
lightonahill7 said:
SumCMx = (m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3)/ m1 + m2 + m3

This is where I am getting stuck. Are we to assume that the three CM should be added together to equal zero of should the base be on the left side of the equation and the boom and weight be on the right side to solve for m3?

yes, everything's fine up to there :smile:

that's the x-coordinate of the centre of mass, so you now need to find when it equals 2 (that's where it's just about to topple)

(btw, it would have been easier to measure everything either from the centre of the base or from the right-hand corner of the base (instead of the left-hand corner), wouldn't it? :wink:)

I have worked the problem two different ways, the first placing the origin for the x coordinate on the left side of the base, and the second, placing the origin at the right corner of the base.

In the first problem I would set my equation equal to two, in the second I set it equal to zero. This is what I came up with:

[tex]\sum[/tex]CM = (2000(1) + 200(2.026) = (3.052)M3)/ 2000 + 200 + M3

2(2200 + M3) = 2000 + 405.2 + 3.05M3

1994.8 = 1.05M3

M3= 1899.80 kg

Second situation

0 = 2000(-1) + 200(0.26) + 1.052M3

0 = -1948 + 1.052M3

M3 = 1851.71 kg.

I know I should get the same answer regardless of my reference point as long as I put in all the measurements correctly. Please see where I may be going wrong. Thanks

hi lightonahill7! :smile:
lightonahill7 said:
200(0.26)

erm :redface: … 0.026 ! :wink:

Brilliant! - thanks for finding that error.

Related to How Much Weight Can the Crane Safely Lift Without Tipping Over?

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system that represents the average position of all the mass in the object. It is the point where the object can be balanced and experiences equal forces in all directions.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual mass components in the object. This is typically done using mathematical equations and taking into account the mass and position of each component.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass in the crane problem?

In the crane problem, the center of mass is significant because it determines the stability and balance of the crane. If the center of mass is not properly positioned, the crane could tip over or become unstable, which can be dangerous and cause accidents.

4. How does the location of the center of mass affect the stability of the crane?

The location of the center of mass directly affects the stability of the crane. If the center of mass is too far from the base of the crane, it can cause the crane to tip over. The closer the center of mass is to the base, the more stable the crane will be.

5. Are there any other factors besides the center of mass that affect the stability of the crane?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the stability of the crane, such as the weight and distribution of the load being lifted, wind speed and direction, and the strength and design of the crane itself. However, the location of the center of mass is a crucial factor in determining the overall stability of the crane.