How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1400 kg car

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the question asks for the amount of tension a rope must withstand in order to accelerate a 1400 kg car vertically upward at 0.50 m/s2. Using Newton's second law and considering the forces acting on the car, the answer is found to be a huge value due to the combined forces of gravity and tension in the rope.
mortho
[SOLVED] Rope Forces

Homework Statement

How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1400 kg car vertically upward at 0.50 m/s2?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know that the force going up is going to be 700 N and i need to somehow subtract it from a force going horizontally to get my answer. I just don't know which..maybe I'm just missing something that i can 't think of ..NEED HELp thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the forces acting vertically? Let's say we pick upward to be positive, what's the equation for Newton's Second Law in terms of the summed forces?

Fg and Fn are acting vertically. the equation for Fg is Fg=mg and so i got 13720. Fg must be equal to Fn because of the flat ground so would that be that answer. But then the acceleration's going to affect it so...then 700 N is going to play a part right? Do i subtract it?? I'm so confused!

Ok, so you're going to have the force on the car due to gravity, this is the car's weight. But I believe you're mistaken about the second force. We're not going to have a normal force, as the car won't be on the ground once it accelerates vertically. What force is pulling the car upwards, where does it fit into our net force equation?

You've already identified the weight force, now we need one more:

[tex] \Sigma F_{vert} = (Upward force) - mg = ma [/tex]

i don't understand the upward force part..would we do this 700-13720 becuase 700 is what was pushing down but since it's lifted it lessens?

The upward force is the tension in the rope. Imagine the car hanging from a crane (or something). If it is being pulled upwards, there are two forces present. The tension, and gravity. They are acting in different directions. You need to add them up according to Newton's second law to get the net force, which will equal ma. You know the mass and acceleration, all you need to do is solve for the tension (or the upward force as hotcommodity called it). Look at post #4 carefully.

so i don't subtract 700 from 13720? i would add them instead?

mortho said:
so i don't subtract 700 from 13720? i would add them instead?

Yes, that's right.

and that would be my final answer? wow that's huge!

Yes, that's what your answer will be.

THANK YOU ! oh by the way i sent you a message in your inbox thing!

Got it.

Related to How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1400 kg car

1. How do you calculate the tension of a rope for a specific weight?

The formula for calculating tension is T = ma, where T is tension, m is mass, and a is acceleration. In this case, we would plug in the mass of the car (1400 kg) and the desired acceleration to solve for tension.

2. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration?

Tension and acceleration have a direct relationship - as one increases, so does the other. This means that in order to accelerate a 1400 kg car, the tension of the rope must also increase.

3. How does the angle of the rope affect the tension?

The angle of the rope can have a significant impact on the tension. The greater the angle, the more tension is required to accelerate the car. This is because the force of the rope is divided into horizontal and vertical components, and the horizontal component is what contributes to the acceleration of the car.

4. Is there a limit to how much tension a rope can withstand?

Yes, all ropes have a breaking point where they can no longer withstand any additional tension. It is important to consider the weight and acceleration of the car when choosing a rope, and make sure it is strong enough to handle the tension required.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a rope to accelerate a car?

Yes, it is important to make sure the rope is securely attached to the car and the object it is pulling from. It is also recommended to use a pulley system to distribute the tension and prevent the rope from snapping. Always use caution and follow proper safety guidelines when using a rope to accelerate a car.