How much steel is needed to suspend a balloon at 50 ft below sea level?

• Thread starter Don654321
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a calculation for determining the amount of steel needed to suspend a 12-inch balloon filled with air at 50 ft below sea level in sea water. The person seeking help was not proficient in physics and wanted a good estimation. The conversation also mentioned using the equation for buoyancy and provided the density of sea water and steel.
Don654321
I need some help with a calculation. I am trying to calculate how much steel in weight would be needed to suspend a ball(essentially a balloon) 12in in diameter full of air at 50 ft below sea level, in sea water. I am not the best at physics and I think I have an idea but wanted a good opinion. Does not have to be exact just a good estimation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The best way to learn is to learn by doing. So take a shot. Some hints to get you started: do you know the equation for buoyancy? Density of water and steel?

seawater=1025 kgm3 Steel = 7850 kgm3 and I am not exactly sure which formula to use?

Use the equation for buoyancy.

Related to How much steel is needed to suspend a balloon at 50 ft below sea level?

1. How do I calculate this?

To calculate something, you need to follow a set of steps called a calculation method. This may involve using equations, formulas, or other mathematical tools. The first step is to clearly define what you are trying to calculate and gather all the necessary information. Then, you can use the appropriate calculation method to arrive at your answer.

2. What are the different types of calculations?

There are many different types of calculations, each with its own purpose and method. Some common types include arithmetic calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), geometric calculations (area, perimeter, volume), statistical calculations (mean, median, standard deviation), and calculus calculations (derivatives, integrals). It is important to choose the correct type of calculation for your specific problem.

3. How do I know if my calculation is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your calculation, you can double check your work by using alternative methods or by using a calculator or computer program. It is also helpful to have someone else verify your work. Additionally, you can check if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem and if it falls within a reasonable range of values.

4. Can I use a calculator or computer program to do the calculation?

Yes, calculators and computer programs can be very useful for complex or repetitive calculations. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and methods behind the calculation and not solely rely on technology. Calculators and programs can also make mistakes, so it is important to double check your work.

5. What do I do if I get stuck while trying to calculate something?

If you encounter difficulties while trying to calculate something, it is important to first review the problem and make sure you understand what is being asked. If necessary, you can consult a textbook, online resources, or ask for help from a colleague or mentor. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and take breaks if needed.