How much Schooling is there to become a Physicist or a surgeon?

• Thread starter Josh041
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the person is unsure about whether they want to become a surgeon or a physicist, specifically in the fields of neurology, molecular, astronomical, or theoretical. They are not concerned about salary and are currently in their junior year of high school. The conversation then includes information on the required schooling for both careers, with a mention of a possible optional PhD for a neurological surgeon and a postdoctoral position for a physicist. The conversation also mentions the length of a residency for a neurosurgeon and the time it takes to secure a job as a physicist.
Josh041
im just really curious...
at the moment I am roughly stuck in the middle as to whether i want to become a surgeon, neurology preferably, or a Physicist,im still not completely sure about which branch, but I am inclining towards a Molecular, Astronomical, or theoretical.
Wages and salary arent really a determining factor for me.
At the moment, I am in my junior year in high school, so i was just wondering how much schooling i would require...
thanks for the answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to easily find this information, but here it is since I have it handy...
is that human of animal surgeon? I assume human...
I also assume this is in the US?
Physicist
Undergrad 3-5 years
grad 4-10 years
postdoc 4-12+ years

neurological surgeon
Undergrad 3-5 years
MD 4 years
phd (optional) 2-7 years
basic residency 6 years
research experience 0-2 years
fellowship (optional)(example:Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology ) 1-2 years

Hope you enjoy quantum field theory or biochemistry or both.

http://www.rush.edu/professionals/gme/neurosurgery/faculty.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that it's an eight year residency to be a neurosurgeon, so with the four years of medical school that's 12 years out of undergrad. Grad school in physics usually five years, plus at least one two-year post doc (usually more, so let's average out and call it three). And then if you're one of those lucky few who gets a tenure-track faculty position, it's another five years before you have a fully secure job as a physicist. So that's also about twelve years out of undergrad, with the +/- 1 that we introduced.

I guess it's the same either way.

I don't think postdoctoral work is considered 'schooling'. Postdocs in physics could legitimately be called physicists.

Becoming a Surgeon would take a lot of schooling. My uncle is in his mid-30s and just finished his certifications and stuff. My cousin has a PhD, MS, and Bachelors at the age of 26 and already has published stuff and is currently a professor conducting research.

Related to How much Schooling is there to become a Physicist or a surgeon?

1. How many years of schooling does it take to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, it typically takes four years of undergraduate study and an additional two to four years of graduate study. This can vary depending on the specific program and the individual's academic progress.

2. Is a bachelor's degree enough to become a surgeon?

No, a bachelor's degree is not enough to become a surgeon. To become a surgeon, one must complete four years of undergraduate study, four years of medical school, and a minimum of five years of residency training. This can add up to a total of 13 years of schooling.

3. How many years of residency training do surgeons typically undergo?

Surgeons typically undergo a minimum of five years of residency training, but this can vary depending on the specialty. Some specialties may require additional years of fellowship training.

4. Can I become a surgeon without attending medical school?

No, attending medical school is a necessary step to become a surgeon. This is where students learn the necessary medical knowledge and skills to become a licensed physician. Without attending medical school, one cannot become a surgeon.

5. How does the schooling for a physicist differ from that of a surgeon?

The schooling for a physicist and a surgeon differs in terms of subjects studied and length of training. Physicists focus on courses in physics, mathematics, and other sciences, while surgeons focus on courses in biology, anatomy, and medicine. Additionally, surgeons undergo longer training with a minimum of 13 years of schooling, while physicists typically complete their education within 6-8 years.