How Much Power is Needed to Boil Water in a Coffee Mug?

In summary, the specific heat of the cup and water must be multiplied by their respective masses, and then added together. The resulting value is then multiplied by the change in temperature to find the total heat required. This value can then be divided by the time it takes to heat the water to find the minimum power rating of the electric heater.
LostInScience

Homework Statement

A 0.29 kg coffee mug is made from a material that has a specific heat capacity of 930 J/(kg·°C) and contains 0.23 kg of water. The cup and water are at 25°C. To make a cup of coffee, a small electric heater is immersed in the water and brings it to a boil in two minutes. Assume that the cup and water always have the same temperature and determine the minimum power rating of this heater.

Homework Equations

The heat required to heat something (Q)= specific heat * mass * change in temperature
1 watt = 1 joule/second

The Attempt at a Solution

so If I have to find watts used I need to find joules then divide that by 120 seconds because it takes 2 minutes to heat the water in the cup. However the problem says that the cup and the water always have the same temperature so wouldn't I have to combine the two equations to findthe heat required to warm them both to 100 degrees Celsius?

If so Q = (specific heat of cup + specific heat of water)(mass of cup + mass of water)(change in heat[temperature final-temperature initial])

So Q=(930+4186)(0.29+0.23)(100-25) Q=(5116)(0.52)(75) Q=199524 This is total joules required to heat the cup and water to 100 degrees Celsius from a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. If I take total joules (199524) and divide by time (120 seconds) I will get joules per second as 1662.7 which is watts?

I've tried entering this into my homework and it's wrong. Where am I going wrong?

I tried the problem again using the equation Specific heat = Q/mass*change in temperature. I did this separately for the cup and water to get the joules required to heat each then added those two numbers together and divided by time.

For water I got 4186 = Q/(0.23)(75)=72208.5 joules
For the cup I got 930 = Q/(0.29)(75)=20227.5 joules

So total joules required = 92436/120 seconds = 770.3 watts?

Is that right?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Physics news on Phys.org
QUOTE:
"If so Q = (specific heat of cup + specific heat of water)(mass of cup + mass of water)(change in heat[temperature final-temperature initial])"

It should be (sp heat of cup*mass of cup + sp heat of water*mass of water)(tf -ti)

I would like to provide a response to this content by first acknowledging the student's attempt at solving the problem. It is clear that they have a good understanding of the relevant equations and are able to apply them correctly. However, there are a few areas where some clarification may be helpful.

Firstly, the student mentions combining the equations for the heat required to heat the cup and the water separately. While this is technically correct, it is not necessary in this problem as the cup and water are always at the same temperature and therefore only one equation for the total heat needed is required.

Secondly, in their first attempt, the student calculates the total joules required to heat the cup and water to 100 degrees Celsius from a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. However, the problem states that the goal is to bring the water to a boil, which is 100 degrees Celsius. This means that the final temperature should be 100 degrees Celsius, not 125 degrees Celsius. This may explain why their answer did not match the expected solution.

Finally, in their second attempt, the student correctly calculates the heat required for the water and the cup separately, but then adds them together to get the total heat needed. This is not necessary as the heater only needs to provide the heat for the water. The cup will heat up as a result of the heated water, but it does not require its own separate heat input. Therefore, the correct approach would be to only calculate the heat required for the water and divide by the time to get the minimum power rating of the heater.

In conclusion, the student's second attempt at solving the problem is correct and the minimum power rating of the heater would indeed be 770.3 watts. I would also like to commend the student for their efforts in solving the problem and encourage them to continue practicing and applying their scientific knowledge.

Related to How Much Power is Needed to Boil Water in a Coffee Mug?

1. What is specific heat and how does it differ from wattage?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is a property of a material and is measured in J/kg°C. Wattage, on the other hand, is a unit of power and measures the rate at which energy is transferred or used. It is commonly used to describe the output of heating devices.

2. How is specific heat and wattage related in heating devices?

Specific heat and wattage are both important factors in determining how quickly and effectively a heating device can raise the temperature of a substance. A material with a high specific heat will require more energy (wattage) to heat up compared to a material with a lower specific heat. Therefore, heating devices with higher wattage outputs are usually more efficient at heating up substances with high specific heats.

3. Can specific heat and wattage affect the cost of using heating devices?

Yes, specific heat and wattage can both impact the cost of using heating devices. Materials with higher specific heats require more energy (wattage) to heat up, resulting in higher electricity bills. Choosing a heating device with a lower wattage output can help save on energy costs in the long run.

4. How does specific heat and wattage affect the temperature control of heating devices?

The specific heat of a substance can affect the temperature control of a heating device. Materials with high specific heats tend to retain heat for longer periods, so heating devices with higher wattage outputs may have better temperature control for these substances. However, using a heating device with too high of a wattage output for a substance with low specific heat may result in overheating and poor temperature control.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to specific heat and wattage in heating devices?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to specific heat and wattage in heating devices. High wattage outputs can lead to overheating and potential fire hazards, so it is important to use heating devices according to their specific heat requirements and to follow safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. It is also important to ensure that the heating device is properly insulated to prevent heat loss and possible burns.