How Much Power Does a Pump Need to Move Water from a Deep Hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school work/power problem involving pumping water from a 40m deep hole to the surface. The question asks for the minimum power of the electric pump, given that 1200kg of water is needed every 2 minutes and is released at 12 ms-1 at the surface. There is discussion about whether to use the formula Wnet=ΔK and whether the water moves at a constant speed. The solution involves calculating the change in energy of the 1200kg of water and determining the rate of change of energy due to the pump.
quark001
This is a high school work/power problem that I'm struggling with:

An electric pump is used to pump water from a 40m deep hole to the surface. If 1200kg of water is needed every 2 minutes and the water is released at 12 ms-1 at the surface, what should the minimum power of the pump be?

I'm not sure whether I can use Wnet=ΔK in this example. Can I assume that the water moves at constant speed? Is the force of the pump present at all times during the movement of the water, or does it just accelerate the water initially? I know that the water gains potential energy, so I would simply use U=m g h to calculate the work. But then, why is the speed of the water at the surface given?

Once I have the work, the power is easy (just divide the work by 120s, obviously).

Physics news on Phys.org
Focus on the change in energy of the 1200 kg "parcel" of water that is transported in 2 min. How much energy does it have at the start, before it is pumped to the surface? How much more energy (in all relevant forms) does it have after it reaches the surface? So, if that amount of energy was gained in 2 min, what is rate of change of energy due to the pump?

Thanks, I sorted it out and my solution was correct :)

Related to How Much Power Does a Pump Need to Move Water from a Deep Hole?

What is an electric pump?

An electric pump is a device that uses electricity to move fluids, such as water or oil, from one place to another. It typically consists of an electric motor, impeller, and a housing or casing.

How does an electric pump work?

An electric pump works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which is used to move the fluid through the pump. The electric motor spins the impeller, which creates a vacuum and draws the fluid into the pump, and then pushes it out through the other side.

What are the common power problems with electric pumps?

The most common power problems with electric pumps include overheating, power surges, and low voltage. These can be caused by faulty wiring, power outages, or using the wrong voltage for the pump.

How can I troubleshoot a basic power problem with an electric pump?

If you are experiencing a power problem with your electric pump, you can start by checking the power source and making sure it is providing the correct voltage. You can also check the wiring and connections for any damage or loose connections. If the problem persists, it may be best to consult a professional.

How can I prevent power problems with my electric pump?

To prevent power problems with your electric pump, make sure to use the correct voltage for the pump and to have a reliable power source. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the pump to ensure it is functioning properly. Installing surge protectors can also help protect against power surges and fluctuations.