How much petrol does a car consume?

In summary: In general, though, you should be able to figure out a reasonable estimate for your specific car using a combination of published data and actual measurements.
Chemical135
So, I wanted to figure out how much energy is needed to drive my car ...

A car weighing 1000 kg, moving at 50km/h travels 10 miles. If the energy content of petrol is about 30 MJ/L, how much petrol do I need?

What's the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
That's a pretty good question.

There are a few ways to go about the calculation - but the best way is probably to weigh the fuel before and after the trip.
You could take a shorter trip or use a smaller fixed amount of fuel.

A theoretical calculation would find the work to move that distance (so you need the force) and adjust for the efficiency of the engine.
You can estimate by looking up your car's fuel efficiency in miles per gallon and dividing the miles by the efficiency.

Ultimately it depends on what you need the calculation for ...

my Toyota Yaris ( 1300cc) on open road steady cruising at 100 km/hr is rated at 5.8 litres / 100km

Chemical135 said:

A car weighing 1000 kg, moving at 50km/h travels 10 miles. If the energy content of petrol is about 30 MJ/L, how much petrol do I need?

What's the answer?
This is a sort of circular excercise which could be very informative and it is best suited to a practical (measurement) approach rather than a theoretical one - you never know the best place to start.
I assume you already have an idea of the fuel economy of your vehicle.
On a level road and at constant speed, the only energy needed is to overcome losses. The ideal answer, without losses, is Zero if you return to the same altitude you started from. (No overall work done, except against the brakes when you slow down at the end.)
You could get an idea of the forces (hence the work) involved, you could try towing the car (in neutral) behind another vehicle, with a strong Force meter. That would give a good idea of the energy the engine is supplying. You would then need to relate this to the fuel needed by assuming an arbitrary 'efficiency' factor for the engine and transmission. Alternatively, you could find the efficiency by actually measuring the fuel used.
Alternatively, you can fit drawing pins to the accelerator and brake pedals and drive with bare feet. That could give you extremely good fuel economy. (The added advantage would be that you could annoy a large number of fellow road users.)

Chemical135 said:

What's the answer?
Welcome to PF!

The best answers you will get are either from a practical test (presumably the car has an odometer and you've filled the tank with gas a few times..) or from the rating provided by the manufacturer.

And FYI, the fuel economy doesn't very directly depend on weight except for "city" driving. Aerodynamics is a bigger issue as is engine power capacity.

Chemical135 said:

It's impossible to answer this question with the given information. It depends on things like aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance in the tires and transmission, and the efficiency of the engine itself. All of these vary from one model of car to another, and even from one individual car to another depending on its condition and state of repair.

Related to How much petrol does a car consume?

1. How is petrol consumption calculated for a car?

Petrol consumption for a car is typically measured in terms of liters per 100 kilometers (L/100km). This is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the amount of petrol used during that distance.

2. What factors affect a car's petrol consumption?

Several factors can affect a car's petrol consumption, including the car's make and model, engine size, weight, driving behavior, and road conditions. Additionally, factors such as air conditioning usage, tire pressure, and cargo weight can also impact petrol consumption.

3. How can I improve my car's petrol consumption?

To improve your car's petrol consumption, you can try driving at a steady speed, avoiding rapid accelerations and sudden braking. Keeping your car well-maintained, with regular tune-ups and tire rotations, can also improve fuel efficiency. Using cruise control on the highway and avoiding idling can also help save petrol.

4. What is the average petrol consumption for a car?

The average petrol consumption for a car in the United States is around 24 miles per gallon (mpg), which is equivalent to 9.8 L/100km. However, this can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above.

5. Can a car's petrol consumption be converted to other units?

Yes, a car's petrol consumption can be converted to other units, such as miles per gallon (mpg) or kilometers per liter (km/L). You can use online unit converters or calculate the conversion manually by using the conversion factor of 1 L/100km = 2.352 mpg.