How much of a 10 liter 30% acid solution must be replaced

In summary, the conversation is about finding the correct amount of a 30% acid solution that needs to be replaced with pure acid to obtain a 10 liter 50% solution. The solution involves setting up equations with variables for the volumes of the 30% solution and pure acid, and then solving for the values of these variables. The solution has been confirmed to be correct by substituting the values into the original equations.
ducmod
Hello!
1. Homework Statement

Please, take a look at the problem and at my solution. Have I done it correctly and is my logic correct?
How much of a 10 liter 30% acid solution must be replaced with pure acid to obtain 10 liters

of a 50% solution?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I need to get 10 liters of final solution that contains 5 liters of acid.
Let X be the volume of 30% solution, and Y the volume of pure acid.

Than:
X + Y = 10
0.3 X + Y = 5 I take 0.3X of 30% solution and add Y of acid to get 5 liters of acid.

Y = 2.857

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct. As a check...

10L of 30%
take out 2.857L gives you
7.143L of 30%.

of which
2.143L is acid
5.000L is Water

add 2.857L of acid gives you

5L acid
5L Water.

Likes ducmod
CWatters said:
Correct. As a check...

10L of 30%
take out 2.857L gives you
7.143L of 30%.

of which
2.143L is acid
5.000L is Water

add 2.857L of acid gives you

5L acid
5L Water.
Thank you! )

ducmod said:
Please, take a look at the problem and at my solution. Have I done it correctly and is my logic correct?
How much of a 10 liter 30% acid solution must be replaced with pure acid to obtain 10 liters of a 50% solution?
Since you have found a solution, you should get into the habit of checking it by substituting the values for X and Y into the original equation. This is what @CWatters did in his reply. If the values you found for the variables are correct, substituting them into your equations should result in true statements.

Mark44 said:
Since you have found a solution, you should get into the habit of checking it by substituting the values for X and Y into the original equation. This is what @CWatters did in his reply. If the values you found for the variables are correct, substituting them into your equations should result in true statements.
I agree ) Thank you.

Related to How much of a 10 liter 30% acid solution must be replaced

1. How do I calculate the amount of acid that needs to be replaced from a 10 liter 30% acid solution?

The amount of acid that needs to be replaced can be calculated by multiplying the total volume of the solution (10 liters) by the percentage of acid that needs to be replaced (30%). This will give you the total amount of acid that needs to be replaced, which in this case would be 3 liters.

2. What is the purpose of replacing a certain amount of acid from a solution?

The purpose of replacing a certain amount of acid from a solution is to adjust the concentration of the solution to a desired level. In this case, replacing a certain amount of acid from the 10 liter 30% solution will result in a new concentration that may be more suitable for a particular experiment or process.

3. How often should a solution be checked and replaced for optimal performance?

The frequency of checking and replacing a solution depends on the specific experiment or process it is being used for. Generally, it is recommended to check and replace a solution when its concentration or performance begins to deviate from the desired level.

4. Can different concentrations of acid be mixed to create a 10 liter 30% solution?

Yes, different concentrations of acid can be mixed to create a 10 liter 30% solution. To calculate the amount of each concentration needed, you can use the formula: (V1 x C1) + (V2 x C2) = (V3 x C3), where V represents the volume and C represents the concentration. In this case, V1 and C1 would represent the volume and concentration of the first acid, V2 and C2 would represent the volume and concentration of the second acid, and V3 and C3 would represent the final volume and concentration of the 10 liter 30% solution.

5. How should the replaced acid be disposed of?

The replaced acid should be disposed of according to proper safety and environmental regulations. This may include neutralizing the acid before disposal or taking it to a designated hazardous waste facility. It is important to follow the proper disposal procedures to prevent harm to yourself and the environment.