How much is it appropriate to bug a prof for a LoR?

• Thread starter Dishsoap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary: It's not always easy to get in touch with people we know and care about, so don't get too upset if he takes a little longer than expected to get back to you.In summary, the student was hoping to get help from the professor in writing a letter of recommendation for the research project they did together over the summer, but has not heard back. The professor is out of the country and the deadline for the grant is coming up soon, so the student is looking for a Plan B.
Dishsoap
Greetings,

I've just been having an issue recently and don't know how to approach it. I did an REU over the summer with a professor and I performed quite well. When I mentioned I might apply for the NSF GRFP this fall, the professor told me that if I wanted him to proofread my application essay or to write letters of recommendation, he would gladly do so.

I e-mailed him well over a month ago (September 4), attached my paper, and asked him to please proofread it (asking very nicely, doing all of the usual courtesies, etc. etc.). He told me to e-mail him again a week later to remind him, which I did. I haven't heard back since.

I've emailed him twice since then, once as another friendly reminder, and once again asking for a letter of recommendation. Still nothing.

The deadline for the GRFP is in less than 3 weeks, and I am still up a creek without a paddle. And since my more "technical essay" deals with the research I did with him, there is hardly anyone else that I can have proofread it, since no one at my university even works in the same field as he does. I also really need the letter of recommendation - without it, my application will not be nearly as strong and I might as well not even apply.

Honestly, I am really starting to get a bit upset. I gave him plenty of notice, was very kind, and did great work over the summer (his words, not mine). What do I do? I have tried hunting for a phone number but I have found nothing. He is also 1000 miles away from where I live. At this point, I would even be fine with an "I'm sorry, but I'm too busy" email.

TL;DR - professor disappeared from the face of the planet, promised me an LoR but won't respond, I don't want to bug him.

Physics news on Phys.org
If he told you that he would do it, a phone call would be fine, and even appropriate. Depending on this professor's email habits, it's possible he's missed your emails.

Dishsoap said:
Honestly, I am really starting to get a bit upset. I gave him plenty of notice, was very kind, and did great work over the summer (his words, not mine). What do I do? I have tried hunting for a phone number but I have found nothing. He is also 1000 miles away from where I live. At this point, I would even be fine with an "I'm sorry, but I'm too busy" email.
You should be able to call the university and get a number for the professor or at least the department he works in.

You can try e-mailing him again and tactfully let him know how worried and stressed you feel because you haven't heard from him. Give him an out as well, "I realize you're busy. If you're not going to be able to proofread my paper and write me a letter of recommendation, please let me know as soon as possible so I can make other arrangements." You should probably start working on a Plan B in case he doesn't follow through on his promise. Just accept that your application may not be as strong as you had hoped.

Try to keep in mind that there are all sorts of reasons the professor might not be responding — family emergency, illness, death in the family, etc.

Related to How much is it appropriate to bug a prof for a LoR?

1. How do I know if I am bugging my professor too much for a letter of recommendation?

It is important to remember that professors are busy individuals and may not have the time to respond to every request immediately. If you have already asked your professor once and have not received a response, it may be appropriate to send a polite follow-up email after a week or two. However, if you have already sent multiple emails or approached your professor in person multiple times, it may be considered excessive.

2. Is it appropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation from a professor I have not had in a few years?

If you have maintained a good relationship with the professor and they can still remember you and your work, it may be appropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation even if it has been a few years since you had their class. However, it is always best to ask for letters from professors you have had more recently, as they will have a fresher memory of your achievements and abilities.

3. How much time in advance should I ask for a letter of recommendation?

It is always best to give your professor plenty of time to write a letter of recommendation for you. Ideally, you should ask at least a month before the deadline. This will give your professor enough time to write a thoughtful and detailed letter without feeling rushed or pressured.

4. Should I provide my professor with a template or guidelines for the letter of recommendation?

It is not necessary to provide your professor with a template or guidelines for the letter of recommendation. In fact, it may be better to let them write the letter in their own words, as it will sound more genuine and personalized. However, you may want to remind your professor of specific accomplishments or experiences you would like them to mention in the letter.

5. Is it appropriate to offer to write a rough draft of the letter of recommendation for my professor?

No, it is not appropriate to offer to write a rough draft of the letter of recommendation for your professor. It is their responsibility to write the letter and they are the ones who know you best and can provide an accurate evaluation of your abilities. Offering to write the letter may be seen as disrespectful or even dishonest.