How much induced voltage on sphere?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the best way to measure the strength of a static electric field electronically. The suggested method is to connect sphere B to ground first, let induced charges run onto it, and then measure its voltage relative to ground. However, there are two different experiments that can be done. In one, the measured potential difference will be zero, while in the other, it will depend on the method used. The conversation also mentions the importance of using a high-impedance voltmeter, known as an electrometer, for accurate measurements.
johne1618
Hi,

Assume that one has a pair of metal spheres, A and B, some distance apart.

A is connected to, say, a small van der Graaf generator and B is connected to a voltmeter which is then connected to ground.

I expect charge to be induced on sphere B.

How would one calculate the voltage one would expect to measure on sphere B?

Would it depend on the radius of sphere B?

Actually thinking about it I guess I should connect sphere B to the ground first to let induced charges run onto it, disconnect it, and then measure its voltage relative to ground. Is that right?

Basically, what is the best way to measure the strength of a static electric field electronically?

A field-effect transistor maybe?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually thinking about it I guess I should connect sphere B to the ground first to let induced charges run onto it, disconnect it, and then measure its voltage relative to ground. Is that right?
The result will depend on your method. Those are two different experiments, there is no "right" or "wrong" one.

In the second case, the measured potential difference is zero, as you let current flow to get exactly this value.
There are purely electrostatic ways to measure a potential difference - and unless you have very sensitive equipment, that is probably the best method, otherwise you discharge B too quickly.

How would one calculate the voltage one would expect to measure on sphere B?
I'm not sure if there are analytical formulas for that setup. If not, with a numerical simulation or with good approximations. I would expect a weak dependence on the radius (if the spheres are not too close to each other), but that is just a guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance , pay especial attention to self-capacitance.

Note that the induced voltage will appear on B only when it is isolated from the Earth; note also that your voltmeter must have a very high internal impedance, which is not the case in most ordinary voltmeters. Specially-built high-impedance voltmeters are known as electrometers. An electrometer is generally a device for measuring charge; other designs are possible, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrometer

Related to How much induced voltage on sphere?

1. What is induced voltage on a sphere?

Induced voltage on a sphere is the voltage generated on the surface of a conducting sphere when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This voltage is caused by the movement of electrons within the sphere in response to the changing magnetic field.

2. How is induced voltage on a sphere calculated?

The induced voltage on a sphere can be calculated using the equation V = -N * A * B * cos(theta) / t, where V is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the area of the sphere, B is the strength of the magnetic field, theta is the angle between the magnetic field and the surface of the sphere, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect the induced voltage on a sphere?

Several factors can affect the induced voltage on a sphere, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the sphere, and the speed at which the magnetic field changes.

4. How does the distance between the sphere and the magnetic field source impact the induced voltage?

The induced voltage on a sphere is inversely proportional to the distance between the sphere and the magnetic field source. This means that as the distance increases, the induced voltage decreases. This is because the magnetic field weakens as the distance from the source increases.

5. What are some practical applications of induced voltage on a sphere?

Induced voltage on a sphere has various practical applications, such as in electromagnetic induction experiments, electric generators, and transformers. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging and inductive power transfer systems.