How much improvement in probability of power cells B wrt A?

In summary: I didn't anticipate the difference between the two ratios being so pronounced. In principle, if there were failure cost data available, then the two ratios might be identical. However, if one considers the cost of failure (in dollars) as a significant consideration, then the argument for choosing model B over model A becomes much stronger.
s3a

Homework Statement

The full problem statement (I just need help for part c):
You are determining which model of power cell to purchase for your project. Your project requires 6 power cells, at least 4 of which must work for the project to work. You would like your project to work for at least 100 hours. The two power cell characteristics are shown in the table below.:

<I can't put a table here, so the data of the table will be given in a non-tabular format.>
Probability of lasting over 100 hours for model A = 0.80
Probability of lasting over 100 hours for model B = 0.95
Cost per unit for model A = $1
Cost per unit for model B = $4

a) If you were to purchase 6 model A power cells, what is the probability that 4 or more cells will last over 100 hours?

b) If you were to purchase 6 model B power cells, what is the probability that 4 or more cells will last over 100 hours?

c) From the above information, does the higher cost produce a proportionally higher performance (i.e. the cost is 4 times larger, is the improvement in probability 4 times larger)? Justify your answer.

d) Concisely explain in four or less sentences which power cell you would choose and justify your answer with probability concepts.

Correct answers for parts a and b:
a) 0.90112
b) 0.99777

Homework Equations

Binomial distribution: nCr * p^r * (1 - p)^(n - r)

The Attempt at a Solution

My trouble is with part c); the solution I'm looking at says to do (1 - 0.90112) / (1 - 0.99777) = 49.5 for the improvement in probability of model B cells (is "the improvement in probability" the correct terminology?), but why doesn't 0.99777 / 0.90112 work as well?

Basically, why must one make a ratio involving the probabilities of the cells not lasting over 100 hours, and why can't one make a ratio (only) involving the probabilities of the cells lasting over 100 hours?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

The full problem statement (I just need help for part c):
You are determining which model of power cell to purchase for your project. Your project requires 6 power cells, at least 4 of which must work for the project to work. You would like your project to work for at least 100 hours. The two power cell characteristics are shown in the table below.:

<I can't put a table here, so the data of the table will be given in a non-tabular format.>
Probability of lasting over 100 hours for model A = 0.80
Probability of lasting over 100 hours for model B = 0.95
Cost per unit for model A = $1
Cost per unit for model B = $4

a) If you were to purchase 6 model A power cells, what is the probability that 4 or more cells will last over 100 hours?

b) If you were to purchase 6 model B power cells, what is the probability that 4 or more cells will last over 100 hours?

c) From the above information, does the higher cost produce a proportionally higher performance (i.e. the cost is 4 times larger, is the improvement in probability 4 times larger)? Justify your answer.

d) Concisely explain in four or less sentences which power cell you would choose and justify your answer with probability concepts.

Correct answers for parts a and b:
a) 0.90112
b) 0.99777

Homework Equations

Binomial distribution: nCr * p^r * (1 - p)^(n - r)

The Attempt at a Solution

My trouble is with part c); the solution I'm looking at says to do (1 - 0.90112) / (1 - 0.99777) = 49.5 for the improvement in probability of model B cells (is "the improvement in probability" the correct terminology?), but why doesn't 0.99777 / 0.90112 work as well?

Basically, why must one make a ratio involving the probabilities of the cells not lasting over 100 hours, and why can't one make a ratio (only) involving the probabilities of the cells lasting over 100 hours?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

The improvement in success, from 0.90 to 0.99, looks modest, but the improvement in failure, from 0.099 down to 0.002 is much more impressive. Basically, failure is something to be avoided, so looking at project failure probabilities makes more sense. That being said, a valid comparison should try to assess the cost of failure vs the cost of batteries. In the absence of such failure cost information, all you can do is examine probabilities, and try to judge whether increasing the cost from $6 to $24 is worth it.

In principle, one might consider mixing up the two battery types (if technically allowed), so one could use some of type A and some of type B. That would give failure probabilities and costs that lie between the extremes above.

Okay, I was expecting the ratio comparing successes to be equal to the ratio comparing failures, but I see that they aren't.

That comment you made about it being better to examine information about failure than success makes "partial sense", but could you please tell me in words (in a way that answers part c)) what the two ratios mean? Basically, what do 0.99777/0.90112 = 1.10725541548295454545 and 0.099/0.002 = 49.5 mean in words?

s3a said:
Okay, I was expecting the ratio comparing successes to be equal to the ratio comparing failures, but I see that they aren't.

That comment you made about it being better to examine information about failure than success makes "partial sense", but could you please tell me in words (in a way that answers part c)) what the two ratios mean? Basically, what do 0.99777/0.90112 = 1.10725541548295454545 and 0.099/0.002 = 49.5 mean in words?

You are just as capable as I am of interpreting them in words. Anyway, if I were analyzing the problem I would not bother with ratios---that is just something your book insists that you do.

There is no justification for using either ratio. The wording of the question clearly encourages you to use the ratio of probabilities of success, so you could defend that approach. There is no defence here for using the ratio of the failure probabilities. The question setter is being too tricky for his own good.
Let the value of succes (or, equivalently, cost of failure) be v. If the success probabilities are pA, pB, and the battery costs are cA, cB, what are the expected outcomes of the two strategies?

1. What is the probability of power cells B compared to A?

The probability of power cells B compared to A depends on a variety of factors, such as the quality and efficiency of the cells, the capacity of the power source, and the specific application in which the cells are being used. It is important to conduct thorough testing and analysis to accurately determine the probability of power cells B relative to A.

2. Can you explain how the improvement in probability is calculated?

The improvement in probability of power cells B with respect to A is typically calculated by taking the difference between the probability of B and the probability of A, and dividing that by the probability of A. This gives a percentage increase or decrease in probability. However, the specific formula used may vary depending on the specific situation and the factors being considered.

3. How do you measure the improvement in probability of power cells B compared to A?

The improvement in probability can be measured through various tests and experiments, such as comparing the performance of cells B and A in a controlled environment, or by collecting data from real-world usage scenarios. The specific method of measurement will depend on the goals and constraints of the study.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating the improvement in probability of power cells B relative to A?

Yes, there may be limitations to calculating the improvement in probability of power cells B compared to A. These limitations may include the quality and accuracy of the data being used, the variability of real-world conditions, and the complexity of the factors involved in determining probability. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when interpreting the results of any calculations.

5. How can the improvement in probability of power cells B be applied in practical situations?

The improvement in probability of power cells B with respect to A can be used to inform decision-making in various practical situations. For example, it can help determine which type of power cell to use for a specific application, or it can be used to track the progress of research and development efforts for improving power cell technology. Ultimately, the improvement in probability can provide valuable insights for optimizing the efficiency and reliability of power sources in a wide range of industries and applications.