How much heat is added to the gas when it is compressed suddenly?

In summary, the system consists of a cylinder of air and a piston, and the work done on the system is 2 Joules. The question asks about the heat added to the gas, and since there is no heat flow from the surroundings or out of the gas, the total amount of energy is 2 Joules. Some of the work done will go into compressing the gas, and the rest will increase the internal energy and temperature.
Zorba

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/44ay2.png"
44ay2.png

Homework Equations

Below.

The Attempt at a Solution

A.
[itex]W=Fd[/itex] 2000N x 0.001m = 2J

B.
This is where I am stuck. Can I assume that the pressure doesn't change when it is pushed in because it says that it is pushed in "suddenly"?
If so then I get: [itex]W = \int p \cdot dV = p(V_f - V_i)[/itex] 105Pa x (0.01m^2 x 0.001m) = 1.05E-3 J

C
Is this just the difference between the two above i.e. 2 - 1.05E-3 = 1.99895J?

I get the feeling this is wrong since I didn't use the information that its 1 litre and 300K anywhere here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) The system consists of the cylinder of air and the piston. So the work done on the system is 2000 N x .001 m = 2 Joules, as you found. Note: if the piston had mass, this would not be the work done on the gas. This is because the piston gains kinetic energy so some of the added energy would go into the piston rather than the gas. But since the piston is massless, this is ignored.

b) The question does not ask how much work has been done on the gas. It asks how much heat has been added to the gas. Has there been any heat flow from the surroundings into the gas (to the instant before the piston is stopped)?

c) Is there is any heat flow out of the gas? So where does all the energy go? (use the first law).

AM

Thanks for the reply.
Andrew Mason said:
b) The question does not ask how much work has been done on the gas. It asks how much heat has been added to the gas. Has there been any heat flow from the surroundings into the gas (to the instant before the piston is stopped)?
None from the surrounding, but my reasoning is that of the work done by pushing the piston, some will go into compressing the gas and the rest will go to internal energy and therefore increase the temperature. So actually the answer would be 2 - 1.05E-3 = 1.99895J ?
Andrew Mason said:
c) Is there is any heat flow out of the gas? So where does all the energy go? (use the first law).
Nope. So it's just the total amount - ie. 2J?

Related to How much heat is added to the gas when it is compressed suddenly?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are:

1. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.
  2. The total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.
  3. As a system approaches absolute zero temperature, its entropy approaches a constant minimum value.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects due to a temperature difference. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics is applicable to many everyday processes, such as cooking, refrigeration, and energy production. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in these processes.

5. Can thermodynamics be violated?

No, the laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles of nature and cannot be violated. However, they can sometimes be misunderstood or misinterpreted in certain situations.