How Much Force is Required to Launch a Ship on an Inclined Plane?

In summary: But I see that you have addressed my main question and I understand now that the force needed to winch the ship down the ways must be greater than the friction force. In summary, to winch a 4,535,924-kg ship down a 10 degree sloping slipway into water, a force of at least 6,914,956N is needed to overcome the force of friction and achieve a net force of 0N.
Coca Cola

Homework Statement

A 4,535,924-kg ship rests on launching ways that slope down to the water at an angle of 10 degrees. If the coefficient of sliding friction is 0.18, how much force is needed to winch the ship down the ways into the water?

Homework Equations

Force of friction=μFn
Force parallel = mgsinθ
Force of friction in the y direction on an inclined plane = mgcosθ = Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step is to solve for the force of friction using the given angle, mass and gravity.
Force of friction= (0.18)(4,535,924kg)(9.8 m/s^2)cos10°=7,879,811N

Now this is where I become confused. The problem states that the ship "rests," so I solve for the net force, right? The force needed to move the ship must be greater than this net force, correct? Or should it just be greater than the frictional force that I solved for?

ƩF=Fparallel - Force of friction
=mgsin10° - 7,879,811N
=7,719,018N - 7,879,811N=-160,973N

Conclusion:
My biggest problem is understanding what is required to make the ship move from rest. Comments and questions concerning my question would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coca Cola said:

Homework Statement

A 4,535,924-kg ship rests on launching ways that slope down to the water at an angle of 10 degrees. If the coefficient of sliding friction is 0.18, how much force is needed to winch the ship down the ways into the water?

Homework Equations

Force of friction=μFn
Force parallel = mgsinθ
Force of friction in the y direction on an inclined plane = mgcosθ = Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step is to solve for the force of friction using the given angle, mass and gravity.
Force of friction= (0.18)(4,535,924kg)(9.8 m/s^2)cos10°=804,062N
That number doesn't look right. Check the math.
Now this is where I become confused. The problem states that the ship "rests," so I solve for the net force, right? The force needed to move the ship must be greater than this net force, correct? Or should it just be greater than the frictional force that I solved for?
Presumably they're asking for the force that needs to be applies in order to keep the ship moving at a constant velocity down the slipway (I say this because only the coefficient of dynamic friction was given). The force applied would have to make the net force downslope zero.
ƩF=Fparallel - Force of friction
=mgsin10° - 804,062N
=7,719,018N - 804,062N=6,914,956N
Again, you'll have to fix your friction force value (above).
Conclusion:
My biggest problem is understanding what is required to make the ship move from rest. Comments and questions concerning my question would be appreciated.
I think you'll have to assume that the ship is already moving, and that some winching force is required to keep it moving.

Thank you for your help! I noticed the math errors and must have corrected them while you were typing your response.

Related to How Much Force is Required to Launch a Ship on an Inclined Plane?

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object to a certain height.

2. How does gravity affect an object on an inclined plane?

Gravity always acts vertically downward, so when an object is on an inclined plane, the force of gravity is divided into two components: one that acts perpendicular to the plane and one that acts parallel to the plane. The component of gravity that acts parallel to the plane is what causes the object to slide down the incline.

3. What is the formula for calculating the force of gravity on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the force of gravity on an inclined plane is Fg = mg sinθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and θ is the angle of the incline.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force needed to move an object?

The greater the angle of the inclined plane, the less force is needed to move an object up the incline. This is because the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline decreases as the angle increases.

5. What is the relationship between the length of the inclined plane and the force needed to move an object?

The longer the inclined plane, the less force is needed to move an object up the incline. This is because a longer incline provides a shallower angle, which decreases the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline.