How Much Force Did Jean Valjean Need to Climb the Walls in Les Miserables?

In summary, the main character Jean Valjean, an escaped prisoner, had to push the walls at a minimum force in order to climb them. He had to push at a 90 degree angle in order to create the least amount of friction.
bob5000
In Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, the main character Jean Valjean, an escaped prisoner, was noted for his ability to climb up the corner formed by the intersection of two vertical perpendicular walls. Find the minimum force with which he had to push the walls (assume both hands are to exert the same force) whilst climbing. Assume that the coefficient of static friction is Uo.

I can't seem to solve this problem correctly. The hard part is determining the angle at which Jean is exerting the force to the walls. I thought it would be 90 degrees but he would be pushing downwards in order for it to be less difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a few hints. What vertical force must the walls exert on Jean? And what's the minimum normal force that must be exerted to create that much friction? (Don't forget Newton's 3rd law.)

so the force would be F=mg/Uo?

That's what I would have said, but the part when you say

bob5000 said:
The hard part is determining the angle at which Jean is exerting the force to the walls. I thought it would be 90 degrees but he would be pushing downwards in order for it to be less difficult.

disturbed me and I wasn't sure anymore. I still don't understand; what is your argument "against" 90° ??

Last edited:
My professor said that this was a very difficult problem and that one like it would be on a quiz this week, so i figured it would'nt be that easy and thered be a trick in there somewhere about the angles of the walls or the angle he's pushing down at. I guess 90 degrees would work but would'nt it be easier to push downwards at like a 45 degree angle?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think the problem is all that hard. Start by answering the questions I ask in my earlier post. (Don't try to guess the angle; you'll figure that out later.)

Related to How Much Force Did Jean Valjean Need to Climb the Walls in Les Miserables?

1. What is the Wall Climbing Force Problem?

The Wall Climbing Force Problem is a scientific question that attempts to understand how humans and animals are able to climb walls or surfaces with high inclines, without the use of any tools or equipment. It involves studying the forces and mechanics involved in wall climbing to better understand the capabilities and limitations of human and animal climbers.

2. What are the factors that affect wall climbing force?

There are several factors that can affect wall climbing force, including the friction between the climber's body and the surface, the strength and grip of the climber's hands and feet, and the angle and texture of the surface being climbed. Other factors such as body weight, muscle strength, and climber's technique can also play a role.

3. How do scientists study the Wall Climbing Force Problem?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the Wall Climbing Force Problem. This can include experiments with human or animal climbers on different surfaces and inclines, using specialized equipment to measure forces and movements, and mathematical models to analyze the physics behind wall climbing.

4. What are the potential applications of studying the Wall Climbing Force Problem?

Studying the Wall Climbing Force Problem can have various applications, such as improving the design and development of climbing equipment and gear, understanding the capabilities of human and animal climbers in different environments, and even inspiring new technologies for wall-climbing robots or machinery.

5. Are there any limitations to our understanding of the Wall Climbing Force Problem?

Despite ongoing research, there are still limitations to our understanding of the Wall Climbing Force Problem. For example, the exact role of muscle strength and body weight in wall climbing is not fully understood, and there may be other factors that have not yet been discovered. Additionally, different species and individuals may have varying abilities and techniques, making it a complex problem to study.