How Much Extra Rope is Needed to Raise it One Meter Above the Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a person wants to tie a rope around the Earth and another person wants to tie it around a stick 1 meter above the ground. The question is how much more rope is needed in each scenario and whether or not people can solve the problem on their first try. The answer can be found at a specific website and the conversation also mentions a previous discussion on the topic.
kash25
I'm collecting some data for school and need data from as many people as possible. Thanks!

Who can solve this problem in one try without looking at the answer?A fool wants to tie a rope around the earth. So he buys a rope of 40,000 KM and ties it around the world. His neighbour, also a fool, wants to do the same only he wants the rope on sticks 1 meter above the ground.

How much more rope does he need?

And how much more rope do you need when you use a tennis ball instead of the earth?Be honest! And be sure to leave a post saying whether or not you get it on the first try!

The answer can be found at http://mindcipher.com/puzzle/42-don-t-hang-yourself

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the circumference of the Earth is 40,000 then the radius is [itex]\frac{20000}{\pi}[/itex]. So the circumference in the second instance is [itex]2 \pi \left(\frac{20000}{\pi} + \frac{1}{1000}\right) = 40000 + \frac{\pi}{500}[/itex]. Obviously a tennis ball would be the same thing. That was my first try.

He needs an extra [itex]2\pi[/itex] metres of rope, regardless of the radius of the object it was wrapped around.

First try, although I have seen this problem before. (I got it the first try then as well.)I believe that even if you wrap the rope around a non-circular object (with reasonable restrictions; using a convex object will suffice), you would still have to add [itex]2\pi[/itex] metres to make each point on the rope 1 metre from the object.

We actually had a discussion on this after a math society meeting (I've seen the question before and answered it on my first try for the record). 9 out of 10 university students were able to get the answer right on the first try, the 10th took 10 minutes of explaining because "your notation is stupid"

Related to How Much Extra Rope is Needed to Raise it One Meter Above the Earth?

What is a Mathematics Aptitude Survey?

A Mathematics Aptitude Survey is a standardized test designed to measure an individual's mathematical aptitude or ability in various areas of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, and statistics. It is often used in educational and career settings to assess an individual's potential for success in mathematics-related fields.

Who can take a Mathematics Aptitude Survey?

Anyone can take a Mathematics Aptitude Survey, but it is commonly administered to students in middle school, high school, and college. It may also be used by employers or organizations to evaluate the mathematical skills of job applicants or employees.

What does a Mathematics Aptitude Survey measure?

A Mathematics Aptitude Survey measures an individual's mathematical knowledge, reasoning, and problem-solving skills. It may cover topics such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, statistics, and logical reasoning.

How is a Mathematics Aptitude Survey scored?

A Mathematics Aptitude Survey is typically scored based on the number of correct answers. Some tests may also assign points to different types of questions or weight certain sections more heavily. The final score is often compared to a standardized scale to determine an individual's proficiency level.

Can a Mathematics Aptitude Survey be prepared for?

While it is not possible to study or memorize specific questions for a Mathematics Aptitude Survey, individuals can improve their mathematical skills and problem-solving abilities through practice and review of fundamental concepts. Familiarizing oneself with the format and types of questions on the survey can also help individuals feel more confident and prepared on test day.