How Much Ethanol Can Be Added to a Pressurized Tank?

In summary, a moonshiner has a stainless steel tank with a tight-fitting piston that holds pure ethanol. The tank's volume is 275 L (0.250 m3) and the moonshiner tries to fit more ethanol by adding lead bricks on top of the piston. Using the equation v' = -kv0p', where ' means change and p' = F/A, the additional volume of ethanol can be calculated. The value of k for ethyl is 111x10-6 atm-1 and the pressure is converted to atmospheres. By substituting the values and omitting the negative sign, the additional volume of ethanol that can be added is 58.3 L.
anubis01

Homework Statement

A moonshiner produces pure ethanol (ethyl alcohol) late at night and stores it in a stainless steel tank in the form of a cylinder 0.290 m in diameter with a tight-fitting piston at the top. The total volume of the tank is 275 L(0.250 m3) . In an attempt to squeeze a little more into the tank, the moonshiner piles lead breaks of total mass 1420kg on top of the piston.

a)What additional volume of ethanol can the moonshiner squeeze into the tank? (Assume that the wall of the tank is perfectly rigid.)?

Homework Equations

v'=-kv0p' where ' means change
p'=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

okay the value of k for ethyl is 111x10-6 atm-1
p'=F/A=mg/pir2=1420*9.8/pi(0.145)2=210211.48
v'=-(111x10-6)(0.250m3)(210211.48)=-5.83x10-2m3=58.3L (we can ommit negative because question asks what additional amount of volume can be added.)

Now using this method I still have the wrong answer, Can anyone please point in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
anubis01 said:

Homework Statement

A moonshiner produces pure ethanol (ethyl alcohol) late at night and stores it in a stainless steel tank in the form of a cylinder 0.290 m in diameter with a tight-fitting piston at the top. The total volume of the tank is 275 L(0.250 m3) . In an attempt to squeeze a little more into the tank, the moonshiner piles lead breaks of total mass 1420kg on top of the piston.

a)What additional volume of ethanol can the moonshiner squeeze into the tank? (Assume that the wall of the tank is perfectly rigid.)?

Homework Equations

v'=-kv0p' where ' means change
p'=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

okay the value of k for ethyl is 111x10-6 atm-1
p'=F/A=mg/pir2=1420*9.8/pi(0.145)2=210211.48
v'=-(111x10-6)(0.250m3)(210211.48)=-5.83x10-2m3=58.3L (we can ommit negative because question asks what additional amount of volume can be added.)

Now using this method I still have the wrong answer, Can anyone please point in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

SI uses Pascals as a measure of pressure; your k for ethyl uses atmospheres.

Okay I changed my p' into atm and I got the right answer thanks for the tip.

I have the same question and I am stuck. How did he get 275L = 0.250m^3?

I would approach this problem by first considering the concept of bulk stress and strain. Bulk stress is the force per unit area acting on a material, while bulk strain is the change in volume of a material due to the applied stress.

In this scenario, the moonshiner is applying a force (the weight of the lead bricks) on the piston, which is causing a stress on the ethanol in the tank. This stress will result in a change in volume, or strain, of the ethanol.

To calculate the additional volume of ethanol that can be squeezed into the tank, we can use the bulk modulus equation: ΔV = -(V0ΔP)/B, where ΔV is the change in volume, V0 is the initial volume, ΔP is the change in pressure, and B is the bulk modulus of the material.

In this case, the initial volume of the tank is 0.250 m^3 and the initial pressure is atmospheric pressure, which we can assume to be 1 atm. The additional pressure applied by the lead bricks can be calculated as follows: P = F/A = (1420 kg * 9.8 m/s^2)/(π*0.145 m^2) = 210211.48 Pa.

Plugging these values into the bulk modulus equation, we get: ΔV = -[(0.250 m^3)(210211.48 Pa)]/(111x10^-6 atm^-1) = -4.76 L.

Therefore, the additional volume of ethanol that can be squeezed into the tank is 4.76 L.

Related to How Much Ethanol Can Be Added to a Pressurized Tank?

1. What is bulk stress and strain?

Bulk stress and strain refer to the applied force and resulting deformation on a material, respectively. This type of stress and strain is caused by an external pressure or compression on the material.

2. How is bulk stress and strain different from other types of stress and strain?

Unlike other types of stress and strain, such as tensile or shear stress and strain, bulk stress and strain occur when the applied force is perpendicular to the material's surface. It also affects the entire volume of the material, rather than just a specific area.

3. What are some common causes of bulk stress and strain?

Bulk stress and strain can be caused by various factors, including external pressure, thermal expansion, and changes in density or volume of a material. It can also occur during manufacturing processes, such as molding and pressing.

4. How do engineers and scientists measure and analyze bulk stress and strain?

Bulk stress and strain are typically measured and analyzed using techniques such as strain gauges, which can detect changes in the material's dimensions. Finite element analysis and other computer simulations can also be used to study the effects of bulk stress and strain on different materials.

5. What are the practical applications of studying bulk stress and strain?

Understanding bulk stress and strain is crucial in many engineering and scientific fields, such as material science, civil engineering, and biomechanics. It allows engineers to design structures and materials that can withstand external pressures and determine the safety and durability of various products and materials.