How Much Energy Is Required to Elevate a Satellite to 1800 km Altitude?

In summary, the amount of energy required to get the 1700 kg satellite to an altitude of 1800 km in a circular orbit around Earth is the sum of the initial potential and kinetic energies (-GMm/r + .5mv^2 = total energy). To find the velocity, the Vis-Viva equation can be used. However, the total energy will be negative since the satellite is in a bound orbit. If only the energy required to reach the altitude is considered, the kinetic energy of moving in orbit should not be taken into account.
rdn98
A 1700 kg satellite is orbitting the Earth in a circular orbit with an altitude of 1800 km.

a) How much energy does it take just to get it to this altitude?

Ok, I just need help getting the setup on this first part.

The amount of energy need to get to this altitude would the sum of the initial potential and kinetic energies, right?

So -GMm/r + .5mv^2 = total energy?

where r= Radius of Earth + altiude (m)

I can figure out the velocity using escape velocity equation, but I get this big negative answer. Thats not right, so what's the right way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by rdn98
So -GMm/r + .5mv^2 = total energy?

This is correct.

where r= Radius of Earth + altiude (m)

I can figure out the velocity using escape velocity equation, but I get this big negative answer. Thats not right, so what's the right way to do this?

By definition, total energy is zero if you are on an escape trajectory. That means that any bound orbit will have a negative energy.

To find the velocity, use the Vis-Viva equation, which relates energy, velocity, semi-major axis and orbital distance (and the escape velocity is drawn from the equation as well)

[tex]

\epsilon = \frac{V^2}{r}-\frac{\mu}{r}=-\frac{\mu}{2a}

[/tex]

Where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is total energy
[itex]\mu[/itex] is the gravitational parameter, G*M
r is the distance from the earth
and a is the semi-major axis of the orbit (r for circular, infinity for parabolic or escape velocity)

Last edited:
But the original problem said "just to get it to this altitude". My guess would be that you should not take into account the kinetic energy of moving in orbit. "Just to get it to this altitude" would seem to me to be the energy necessary to get up to that altitude, not to be in orbit at that altituded.

Related to How Much Energy Is Required to Elevate a Satellite to 1800 km Altitude?

1. What is the energy of a satellite?

The energy of a satellite is the sum of its kinetic energy and its potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or arrangement in a system.

2. How is the energy of a satellite related to its orbit?

The energy of a satellite is directly related to its orbit. As a satellite moves in its orbit, its kinetic and potential energies change. At the highest point in its orbit (called the apogee), the satellite has the most potential energy and the least kinetic energy. At the lowest point in its orbit (called the perigee), the satellite has the most kinetic energy and the least potential energy.

3. How does the energy of a satellite affect its speed?

The energy of a satellite is directly related to its speed. As the satellite moves closer to the Earth, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases, causing it to speed up. As the satellite moves farther from the Earth, its potential energy increases and its kinetic energy decreases, causing it to slow down.

4. What factors affect the energy of a satellite?

The energy of a satellite is affected by its mass, its distance from the Earth, and the gravitational force between the satellite and the Earth. The further the satellite is from the Earth, the less potential energy it has, and the closer it is to the Earth, the more potential energy it has.

5. Can the energy of a satellite be changed?

Yes, the energy of a satellite can be changed. This can happen through external forces, such as thrust from a rocket or gravitational interactions with other objects in space. These changes in energy can affect the orbit and trajectory of the satellite.