How Much Energy Is Released in Tritium Nucleus Formation?

In summary: You have the mass in universal mass units but you need it in kilograms or grams. Once you have the mass in the right units, then you can use the correct conversion factor to go from joules to MeV. In summary, to find the energy released when a tritium nucleus is formed, you need to convert the mass from universal mass units to kilograms or grams and then use the conversion factor 1.6*10^-13 to convert from joules to MeV. Once you have the energy in MeV, you can compare it to the given answer choices to determine the correct answer.
majormuss

Homework Statement

A tritium nucleus is formed by combining two
neutrons and a proton. The mass of this nucleus
is 9.106 × 10–3 universal mass unit less than the
combined mass of the particles from which it is
formed. Approximately how much energy is
released when this nucleus is formed?
(1) 8.48 × 10–2 MeV (3) 8.48 MeV
(2) 2.73 MeV (4) 273 MeV

Homework Equations

E=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the energy by using what they gave me(9.106 × 10^-3) and fixing into the equation E=mc^2, but my anwser turns out 8.2 × 10^13( which obviously missing something)

Physics news on Phys.org

majormuss said:

Homework Statement

A tritium nucleus is formed by combining two
neutrons and a proton. The mass of this nucleus
is 9.106 × 10–3 universal mass unit less than the
combined mass of the particles from which it is
formed. Approximately how much energy is
released when this nucleus is formed?
(1) 8.48 × 10–2 MeV (3) 8.48 MeV
(2) 2.73 MeV (4) 273 MeV

Homework Equations

E=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the energy by using what they gave me(9.106 × 10^-3) and fixing into the equation E=mc^2, but my anwser turns out 8.2 × 10^13( which obviously missing something)

Think about what units you are using. You may need to convert units.

You can't just plug the numbers you have in and get the right answer because the units don't work out.

vela said:
You can't just plug the numbers you have in and get the right answer because the units don't work out.

so how do I change form Joules to Mega Electron Volts? do I multiply or divide by 1.6 *10^-19... that is where I tend to get confused.

Is a joule larger or smaller than a MeV?

So if I have 1 joule, should have 1*1.6*10^-13 MeV or 1/(1.6*10^-13) MeV? Which one gives a bigger answer?

Also, for mega electron volts the conversion factor is 1.6*10^-13 not -19, -19 is for electron volts.

majormuss said:
so how do I change form Joules to Mega Electron Volts? do I multiply or divide by 1.6 *10^-19... that is where I tend to get confused.

You also need the mass units to be right.

Related to How Much Energy Is Released in Tritium Nucleus Formation?

1. What does E=mc^2 represent?

E=mc^2 is an equation developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It states that the energy of a body (E) is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

2. How do I solve a homework problem involving E=mc^2?

To solve a homework problem involving E=mc^2, you will need to have a basic understanding of algebra and be familiar with the equation. You will also need to know the values for mass (m) and the speed of light (c) in the problem. From there, you can simply plug in the values and solve for the unknown variable (E).

3. Can E=mc^2 be used in all situations?

While E=mc^2 is a fundamental equation in physics, it is only applicable in certain situations. It applies to objects that are at rest or in motion, but not to objects that are accelerating or undergoing nuclear reactions.

4. What are the units for each variable in E=mc^2?

The units for energy (E) are joules (J), the units for mass (m) are kilograms (kg), and the units for the speed of light (c) are meters per second (m/s).

5. How did Einstein come up with E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 was developed as part of Einstein's theory of special relativity. He was exploring the relationship between energy and mass and realized that the speed of light played a crucial role. Through mathematical calculations and thought experiments, he arrived at the equation E=mc^2, which revolutionized the field of physics.