How Much Energy Is Needed to Launch a Satellite into Orbit?

In summary, the correct way to calculate the energy required to launch a 200 kg satellite from the surface of the Earth into a circular orbit with radius 8.0 * 10^6 m would be to consider both the gravitational potential energy of the object on Earth and in the circular orbit. Simply subtracting the two will not give an accurate result.
Effective

Homework Statement

How much energy is required to launch a 200 kg satellite from the surface of the Earth into a circular orbit with radius 8.0 * 10^6 m?

G=6.67*10^-11

Homework Equations

Ep= -GMm/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the gravitational potential energy of the object on the earth, then I calculated the gravitational potential energy of the object in the circualr orbit and then I subtracted the two and apparently that's not the correct way to tackle the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Effective said:
How much energy is required to launch a 200 kg satellite from the surface of the Earth into a circular orbit with radius 8.0 * 10^6 m?

potential energy of the object on the earth, then I calculated the gravitational potential energy of the object in the circualr orbit and then I subtracted the two and apparently that's not the correct way to tackle the problem.

Hi Effective! Welcome to PF! :smile:

That will only give you enough energy to get it up there …

you need it to stay up also! :biggrin:

:wink: you got to be practical!​

I would like to clarify that the formula used in the attempt at a solution is correct, but it is not the most efficient way to solve this problem. The correct approach would be to use the equation for gravitational potential energy in a circular orbit, which is Ep = -GMm/2r. This takes into account the fact that the satellite is now at a distance of 2r from the center of the Earth, as it is in a circular orbit. The resulting value would be the energy required to launch the satellite into the circular orbit from the surface of the Earth. It is also important to note that this calculation does not take into account any other factors such as air resistance or the energy required for the launch itself.

Related to How Much Energy Is Needed to Launch a Satellite into Orbit?

What is gravitational energy?

Gravitational energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is at a certain height above the ground. It is a form of energy that is related to the force of gravity.

How is gravitational energy calculated?

Gravitational energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2) and the height of the object above the ground.

What is the relationship between gravitational energy and potential energy?

Gravitational energy is a type of potential energy, as it is the energy stored in an object due to its position. Other types of potential energy include elastic, chemical, and nuclear energy.

How is gravitational energy related to the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Gravitational energy is a result of this attraction between objects.

What are some real-life examples of gravitational energy?

Some examples of gravitational energy in everyday life include a pendulum swinging, a rollercoaster at the top of a loop, and a person jumping on a trampoline. Gravitational energy also plays a role in the formation of planets and stars in the universe.