How Much Energy Does a Squash Ball Lose After Bouncing?

In summary, the problem involves finding the percentage of gravitational potential energy that a squash ball loses when it falls from a height of 3.0 meters and bounces back to a height of 0.076 meters. Using the equations for kinetic energy (Ek = 1/2mv²) and gravitational potential energy (Eg = mgh), the solution can be found by comparing the PE values at the start and end positions of the ball. The height values are H1 = 3.0 m and H2 = 0.076 m, and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.80 m/s².
Araiz

Homework Statement

This is a simple question but I can't seem to solve it( I don't know if this is advanced physics or not first time on this website, it said Work and that is part of this energy loss problem) here is the problem: What percentage of its gravitational potential energy does a squash ball lose if it falls from 3.0 m and returns to a height of .076 after bouncing once?

Homework Equations

(100-x)(Ek1 + Eg1)/100 = Ek2 + Eg2
Ek = 1/2mv²
Eg = mgh

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, my Teacher did not give any example on a question with no "x" variable like this one, so literally I had no clue on how to attempt this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Araiz said:

Homework Statement

This is a simple question but I can't seem to solve it( I don't know if this is advanced physics or not first time on this website, it said Work and that is part of this energy loss problem) here is the problem: What percentage of its gravitational potential energy does a squash ball lose if it falls from 3.0 m and returns to a height of .076 after bouncing once?

Homework Equations

(100-x)(Ek1 + Eg1)/100 = Ek2 + Eg2
Ek = 1/2mv²
Eg = mgh

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, my Teacher did not give any example on a question with no "x" variable like this one, so literally I had no clue on how to attempt this question.
Welcome to the PF.

You would just compare the E=mgh values of PE for the start and end positions of the ball. But what does "to a height of 0.076" mean? 0.076 meters, or 0.076*3.0 meters?

Likes Araiz
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

You would just compare the E=mgh values of PE for the start and end positions of the ball. But what does "to a height of 0.076" mean? 0.076 meters, or 0.076*3.0 meters?
Thanks !

Its H1= 3.0 m and H2= .076, I know that for sure because, the ball is first at 3.0 M then it bounces and reaches a height of .076m. that's all i got from the question, oh and g= 9.80.

Araiz said:
Thanks !

Its H1= 3.0 m and H2= .076, I know that for sure because, the ball is first at 3.0 M then it bounces and reaches a height of .076m. that's all i got from the question, oh and g= 9.80.
So all you have to do is calculate the two mgh values, and figure out what percentage of the original PE was lost in the bounce. :smile:

Likes Araiz

Related to How Much Energy Does a Squash Ball Lose After Bouncing?

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause a change. It can take many forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and electromagnetic energy.

2. How is energy lost?

Energy can be lost through various processes, such as friction, heat transfer, or conversion into a different form of energy. For example, when a ball rolls on the ground, some of its kinetic energy is lost due to friction with the surface.

3. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

4. How is energy measured?

The standard unit of energy is the joule (J), which is equivalent to the work done by a force of one newton (N) over a distance of one meter (m). Other common units of energy include calories, kilowatt-hours, and electron volts.

5. How do energy losses affect real-world applications?

In real-world applications, energy losses can have significant impacts on efficiency and performance. For example, in power plants, energy losses due to heat transfer can decrease the overall efficiency of the system. In electronic devices, energy losses can lead to overheating and reduced lifespan. Therefore, minimizing energy losses is important for improving the effectiveness of various technologies.