How Much Energy and Money Does Switching to a Compact Fluorescent Lamp Save?

• Thread starter mz19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, a 20-W compact fluorescent lamp replaces a 100-W incandescent bulb and saves 80 bucks over its 10,000 hour lifetime at $0.10 per kilowatt-hour.
mz19
A.) A 20-W compact fluorescent lamp replaces a 100-W incandescent bulb. How much energy does it save over its 10,000 hour lifetime?
B.) At $0.10 per kilowatt-hour, how much money does this save?

My attempt at answering:

Difference is wattage is 80-W, multiplied by 10,000 hours is 800,000 (not sure of the label here, is it Kilowatt hours?) saved.

Is part B just multiplying the 800,000 (UNIT) saved times (0.10) to get $80,000 saved?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
UNIT: simple
80 watt times 10,000 hours = 80 times 10,000 x watt times hours = 80,000 watt-hours.

B:
How many kw-hours is 80, 000 watt-hours?

80000 watt hours is 80kwh. So multiply 80 kWh to get $8.00?

mz19 said:
80000 watt hours is 80kwh. So multiply 80 kWh to get $8.00?
Ofcourse. 80 x 0.1 = 8

Or you can do this:
0.1$ --> 1Kwh
x --> 80

Just cross multiply, :wink: .

256bits said:
UNIT: simple
80 watt times 10,000 hours = 80 times 10,000 x watt times hours = 80,000 watt-hours.

B:
How many kw-hours is 80, 000 watt-hours?

80x10000=800,000.
So you save 80 bucks

Related to How Much Energy and Money Does Switching to a Compact Fluorescent Lamp Save?

1. How do I calculate my electrical usage?

To calculate your electrical usage, you will need to know your electricity rate (in kilowatt-hours) and the amount of time the device was used. Multiply the rate by the time to get the total usage in kilowatt-hours.

2. What is the average household electrical usage?

The average household electrical usage varies depending on the size of the household, the number of appliances and electronics used, and the climate. However, the average household in the United States uses about 877 kilowatt-hours per month.

3. How can I reduce my electrical usage?

There are many ways to reduce your electrical usage, such as unplugging devices when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and turning off lights when leaving a room. You can also consider using renewable energy sources like solar panels.

4. What is the cost of my electrical usage?

The cost of your electrical usage will depend on your electricity rate and the amount of energy you use. You can find your electricity rate on your utility bill, and you can calculate the cost by multiplying the rate by the total usage in kilowatt-hours.

5. How can I track my electrical usage?

You can track your electrical usage by using a power meter or by checking your monthly utility bills. Some utility companies also offer online tools that allow you to track your usage in real-time. Additionally, there are various apps and devices available that can help you track your electrical usage.