How Much Does the Spring Compress When Hit by a Rolling Ball?

In summary: PE does it lose in the process?"In summary, the .321 kg, .27m radius thin shelled ball rolls (starting at rest) 3.82m from the top down a 35° 10.0m long incline without slipping. After the 3.82 m, the incline becomes frictionless for the rest of the board. After .8m of the frictionless unencumbered movement, the ball reaches a frictionless massless spring with a spring constant of 20 N/m. The ball's maximum linear speed is 5.076 m/s and its angular speed is 18.8 rad/s. After the spring is compressed to a distance of .211 m, the
mrknowknow

Homework Statement

A problem like this is on my final tomorrow and I can't seem to get past part C...Please Help!

A .321 kg, .27m radius thin shelled ball rolls (starting at rest) 3.82m from the top down a 35° 10.0m long incline without slipping. After the 3.82 m, the incline becomes frictionless for the rest of the board. After .8m of the frictionless unencumbered movement, the ball reaches a frictionless massless spring with a spring constant of 20 N/m.

a. How fast is the center of mass of the ball going after 3.82 (linear speed)
I solved for v using mgh=1/2mv^2 + 1/2(2/3MR^2)(v/r)^2

so v= 5.076 m/s

b. How fast is the ball rolling after the 3.82 m (angular speed)
v/r=5.076/.27 = 18.8 rad/s

c. How much does the spring compress?
d. what is the ball's maximum linear speed?
e) what is the balls angular speed when the spring is fully compressed?

Homework Equations

I tried using vf^2=vi^2+2(9.8sin35).8
to get the velocity before it hits the spring

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using 1/2mv^2=1/2kx^2
and solving for x but I'm not getting the right answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you forget that the ball is still descending as the spring compresses?

so would it be 1/2mv^2=1/2kx^2+1/2mv^2

mrknowknow said:
so would it be 1/2mv^2=1/2kx^2+1/2mv^2

It could only be that if the two v's stand for different things, but i can't think what you have in mind.
What I meant was that the ball continues to lose PE after contacting the spring.

I don't know how to set up the equation. A tutor at MIT on InstaEdu couldn't even figure it out. The answer is .211 m but I don't see how my professor got that.

mrknowknow said:
I don't know how to set up the equation. A tutor at MIT on InstaEdu couldn't even figure it out. The answer is .211 m but I don't see how my professor got that.
Suppose the max compression of the spring is x. Write out the change in PE and the change in KE from contacting spring to max compression.

I'm thinking but nothing comes to mind!

mrknowknow said:
I'm thinking but nothing comes to mind!
You know the speed at contact with spring. You know the speed at max compression. So you know the change in KE.
If it compresses the spring a distance x, what is the PE stored in the spring?
All of the above you calculated and used before. The bit you forgot was:
If it compresses the spring a distance x, how much more PE did the ball lose while compressing the spring?

From what you're saying I would think to the equation I posted in #4. I don't understand the last line, I'm stumped.

mrknowknow said:
From what you're saying I would think to the equation I posted in #4.
That equation may apply, I've no way of knowing since you still have not clarified what the two 'v's represent. Either way, it isn't the whole story, for the reason given below.
I don't understand the last line, I'm stumped.
The whole slope is 10m. After 4.62m it hits a spring. As it compresses the spring it is still going down the slope. if it travels a distance x while compressing the spring, how much gravitational PE does it lose in the process? I don't think I can make it any clearer.

mg10sin35 - mg5.38sin35 ??

mrknowknow said:
mg10sin35 - mg5.38sin35 ??
" if it travels a distance x"

Related to How Much Does the Spring Compress When Hit by a Rolling Ball?

1. How does a ball rolling into a spring demonstrate the concept of potential energy?

When a ball rolls into a spring, it compresses the spring and stores potential energy within it. This is because the spring has the ability to return to its original shape and release the energy when the ball is removed.

2. What happens to the kinetic energy of the ball as it rolls into the spring?

The kinetic energy of the ball decreases as it rolls into the spring because some of its energy is transferred to the spring, causing it to compress.

3. How does the spring's stiffness affect the ball's motion when it rolls into the spring?

The stiffness of the spring determines the amount of force it exerts on the ball as it compresses. A stiffer spring will exert a greater force and cause the ball to bounce back with more energy.

4. Can the ball's mass affect the outcome of rolling into the spring?

Yes, the mass of the ball affects the amount of kinetic energy it has and how much energy is transferred to the spring. A heavier ball will have more kinetic energy and cause the spring to compress more than a lighter ball.

5. How is the concept of conservation of energy demonstrated in a ball rolling into a spring?

The concept of conservation of energy is demonstrated as the ball's initial kinetic energy is converted into potential energy when it compresses the spring. When the spring releases the energy, it converts back to kinetic energy and the ball continues to roll. Overall, the total amount of energy remains constant.