How much current can a 3 mm wire carry?

In summary, the question is about the maximum current a 3 mm diameter wire can carry and how many amps it can handle for continuous duty. According to data from the American Wire Gauge table, a 3 mm wire is equivalent to a gauge 8 wire, which can carry 472 Amperes for 10 seconds before fusing. However, for continuous duty, the current capacity will depend on various factors such as the transformer's design, insulation, and core heat. It is recommended to consult a professional transformer shop for a more accurate estimation.
Panthera Leo
how much current can a 3 mm wire carry?

Hello

I was wondering how much current can a wire with of 3 mm diameter can carry?

Considering the maximum temperature of the wire doesn't change considerably, to melt the insulation...

Unfortunately I don't know which gauge wire this is...

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I pretty much agree with Runei using different data.
3 mm diameter is 0.118" dia
From book Reference Data for Radio Engineers
#9 AWG is 0.114" dia
Book gives fusing current of #9 AWG as 396 amp for copper.

highly appreciate your comments,

Considering this wire is used as the primary wire of a transformer, how many amps do you think it can carry for continuous duty? Because I didn't quite understand what you mean by "fusing current"... & how many kVA would you guess?

Is it the current which will fuse copper metals which have no insulation??!

A completely different issue in a winding since the inner most winding - is "surrounded" by other winding, all of which are giving off heat. In this case the mechanical design, insulation thickness and type, as well as the transformers core heat - all play a role. This needs to be looked at from a total system perspective.
From the most basic analysis - if you can calculate the core losses and the winding ( restive) losses - estimating total watts, then calculate the temperature rise of the whole assembly ( Thermal resistance to the ambient- air etc) , this T rise needs to be well below the insulation rating (class) used on the wire. An then have some concern for hot spots - e.g. the temperature will not be uniform throughout the whole transformer - if this is for a one off or low volume build I would oversize the wire significantly - if for a school project, perhaps contact/visit a custom transformer shop and discuss - there is an art + skill + experience + technology to transformers.

Related to How much current can a 3 mm wire carry?

1. What determines the maximum current that a 3 mm wire can carry?

The maximum current that a 3 mm wire can carry is determined by its cross-sectional area, material composition, and temperature. Thicker wires with larger cross-sectional areas can typically carry more current, while the material composition and temperature affect the wire's resistance and ability to dissipate heat.

2. How do I calculate the maximum current a 3 mm wire can carry?

The maximum current that a 3 mm wire can carry can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In this case, the resistance can be calculated by dividing the material's resistivity by the cross-sectional area of the wire. It is important to note that this calculation may vary depending on the material and temperature of the wire.

3. Can I increase the maximum current a 3 mm wire can carry?

Yes, the maximum current that a 3 mm wire can carry can be increased by using a thicker wire with a larger cross-sectional area, using a material with lower resistivity, or by keeping the wire at a lower temperature. However, it is important to ensure that the wire is not overloaded and that safety measures are taken to prevent overheating.

4. What happens if I exceed the maximum current a 3 mm wire can carry?

If the maximum current that a 3 mm wire can carry is exceeded, the wire may overheat and potentially melt or catch fire. This can be dangerous and can cause damage to the wire and any connected devices. It is important to follow the recommended maximum current for the wire to prevent these risks.

5. Can I use a 3 mm wire to carry high currents?

It depends on the specific application and the maximum current that needs to be carried. While a 3 mm wire may be suitable for low to moderate currents, it may not be able to handle high currents without exceeding its maximum capacity. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to the wire's specifications to determine its safe operating current range.