How much air is required to transfer liquid?

• Thread starter help_pls
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Liquid
In summary, the problem at hand is determining the amount of air needed to transfer liquid from one tank to another. This can be calculated by considering the volume of the displaced liquid and accounting for pressurization, as well as the density of the liquid and the height of the liquid in the tank. Additionally, the area above the liquid will also need to be pressurized, so the total volume at pressure will be that of the entire vessel.
help_pls
Hi all,

I am trying to wrap my head around how much air is needed to transfer liquid from one tank to another tank. Here is a sketch of the problem

iMSaNZ3.jpg

The valves at the bottom of the first tank opens up, and air is transferred to the first vessel to transfer the liquid completely to the second tank. The second tank has a vent to atmosphere. How do I figure out how much air is needed to complete the transfer process?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
the volume of air will be the same as the displaced liquid, though it will need to be pressurized, and depending on how you define the volume (pressurized volume or atmospheric volume) you'll need to account for that.
the pressure will depend on the density of the liquid, and the height of the liquid will be from the bottom of the top "elbow" to the bottom of the tank (unless you drain the bottom elbow as well)

Likes help_pls
Rx7man said:
the volume of air will be the same as the displaced liquid, though it will need to be pressurized, and depending on how you define the volume (pressurized volume or atmospheric volume) you'll need to account for that.
the pressure will depend on the density of the liquid, and the height of the liquid will be from the bottom of the top "elbow" to the bottom of the tank (unless you drain the bottom elbow as well)
Thank you so much! I think I got it.

Oh, I just noticed something else.. the area above the liquid will need to be pressurized as well, so thus the volume (at pressure) will of course be that of the entire vessel

Related to How much air is required to transfer liquid?

1. How does the amount of air affect the transfer of liquid?

The amount of air plays a crucial role in the transfer of liquid as it creates pressure within the container. This pressure helps to push the liquid out of the container and into the desired location.

2. Is there a specific ratio of air to liquid that is required for successful transfer?

There is no specific ratio of air to liquid that is required for successful transfer, as it depends on various factors such as the viscosity of the liquid, the size and shape of the container, and the temperature and pressure of the surroundings.

3. Can too much or too little air hinder the transfer of liquid?

Yes, both too much and too little air can hinder the transfer of liquid. Too much air can create excessive pressure, causing spills and leaks, while too little air may not provide enough force for the liquid to move out of the container.

4. How can I determine the amount of air needed for transferring a specific amount of liquid?

To determine the amount of air needed for transferring a specific amount of liquid, you can use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas (in this case, air) is directly proportional to its volume and temperature.

5. Are there any other factors besides air that can affect the transfer of liquid?

Yes, besides air, factors such as gravity, surface tension, and the properties of the liquid itself can also affect the transfer of liquid. It is important to consider all these factors when designing a system for liquid transfer.