How Much Additional Force Is Needed to Hold a Water Hose Stationary?

• Thread starter djlightsout06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, dimensional analysis can be used to check solutions to problems, but is not the only thing you need to do to solve them.
djlightsout06
I really just need help getting started...

What additional force is necessary to hold a water hose stationary after the water flow is turned on, if the discharge rate is .6 kg/sec with a speed of 25 m/s?

Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but until someone better at physics responds, this'll probably tide you over:

When the water is going forward, I guess it's pushing the hose/person holding it backward

the momentum going forward is .6kg*25m/s, and you get the force by taking the change in momentum over the change in time, 0.6kg/s * 25m/s => 15kg*m/s^2 = 15N

I don't know if my underlying assumption is correct there, tho

thanks, that's exactly the info that i needed to get going.

confused: can anyone tell how can i ask my own problems?/creat threads?

I think you'd also need to know H20 pressure, or at least, I guess, differential pressure, because if you think about the idea of a culvert through which a river runs, there is no force because the water just flows through the bottom part. So if you had a hose and you could get flow rate of .6kg/s through it without the hose being full, there's little or no pressure drop as the water leaves the hose. does that make sense?

All you are measuring with flow rate and mass is the force the water can exert on an object it hits, which doesn't help you that much in answering your question.

Phantom...you don't need to know that. The question only involves Newton's third law. The force the water can exert on an object, in fact, can't be known unless you know how much speed the water recoils with.

But you DO know the speed. I just misread the question. The answer was correct. The momentum equation works fine. Zero momentum before you turn on the hose and 15 kg-m/s2 afterwards. Got it.

new threads

hi_rudra said:
confused: can anyone tell how can i ask my own problems?/creat threads?

Just click on the "new thread" button at the top of the listed page.

(ignore this message)

Hi people
I'm just testing to see if this thread gets posted. This is the first time I've used theis site.

KillaMarcilla said:
I'm not sure, but until someone better at physics responds, this'll probably tide you over:

When the water is going forward, I guess it's pushing the hose/person holding it backward

the momentum going forward is .6kg*25m/s, and you get the force by taking the change in momentum over the change in time, 0.6kg/s * 25m/s => 15kg*m/s^2 = 15N

I don't know if my underlying assumption is correct there, tho

Yeah KillaMarcilla, you are precicely right. As water has a density of 1.00 kg/L you don't need to account for it's density change. So, to hold the hose steady, you would have to apply a force of 15N onto the hose.

Killamarcilla is correct.

Anyways, a useful trick to help you get started on any problem is dimensional analysis. For example, in this problem you are given 2 quantities whose dimensions are kg/s and m/s. You are asked to find a quantity whose dimensions are Newtons or kg.m/s^2. Clearly the product of the dimensions of the given quantities gives you the dimensions of the required answer. This suggests that multiplying the 2 numbers may be the way to go.

However, let this not be the only thing you do to solve a problem. It does not consider dimensionless constants or involve an understanding of the underlying physics. It's just a useful trick for checking solutions.

Related to How Much Additional Force Is Needed to Hold a Water Hose Stationary?

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

The main difference between speed and velocity is that speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account the magnitude and direction of an object's motion. In other words, speed tells us how fast an object is moving, while velocity tells us both how fast and in what direction an object is moving.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity over a certain time period by that time period. In other words, acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless a force causes them to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

4. How is energy related to work?

Energy is the ability to do work, and work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. In other words, energy is what is needed to do work, and work is what is done when energy is transferred. The unit for both energy and work is the joule (J).

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. For example, a moving car has kinetic energy, while a stretched spring has potential energy. The total energy of a system is the sum of its kinetic and potential energy.