How measureable parameters associate with operators

In summary, Homework Equations state that if we have a wave function and an operator, we can know the eigenvalue from the eigen equation. However, it depends on what you are doing mathematically.
enricfemi

Homework Statement

in quantum mechanics, if we have a wave function, and an operator, we
can know the eigenvalue from the eigen equation:[tex]\hat{F}[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex]=f[tex]\phi[/tex]. but how we obtain the mathematical form of operator [tex]\hat{F}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] x ?
[tex]\hat{p}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] -ih [tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]x ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you are doing. I mean, mathematically what you are doing is projecting a vector (your eigenvector) onto the space you want to. You can do just about any projection you want, the question is whether it will mean anything. I can go into more depth if you'd like, but I have a feeling that doing some research first will help you take your general question to something more specific.

Mindscrape said:
It depends on what you are doing. I mean, mathematically what you are doing is projecting a vector (your eigenvector) onto the space you want to. You can do just about any projection you want, the question is whether it will mean anything. I can go into more depth if you'd like, but I have a feeling that doing some research first will help you take your general question to something more specific.

thanks Mindscrape!
to be specific, my question is how the following associations are constructed:
[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] x ?
[tex]\hat{p}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] -ih [tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]x ?

I'm not quite sure of your math level, so let me just tell you how it works in the way I know. If I don't answer your questions completely I suggest you see if you can find one of these books:

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths
Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications by Zettili (sp.?)
Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Shankar

So, as you may or may not know, there are some conditions that have to apply to valid eigenfunctions
Square Integrable [tex]\int |f(x)|^2 dx < \inf[/tex]
and observables
Hermitian [tex]\langle f|\hat{A} g \rangle = \langle \hat{A} f| g \rangle[/tex]

So basically where we figure out the position operator is by probability. We want to use that operator to figure out where the most likely spot the wavefunction will be appear. We also know that from probability that all the outcomes have to add up to 1, there just can't be greater than 100% chance of things happening (it's our way of 'normalizing' outcomes). So there must be some probability density that describes all the probabilities and that has to add to 1.
[tex]1=\int \rho(x) dx[/tex]
In discrete mathematics if we wanted an average we would do
[tex]\langle x \rangle = \frac{\sum{j N(j)}}{N} = \sum(j P(j))[/tex]
It translates in such a way that
[tex] \langle j \rangle = \int j \rho (j) dj [/tex]
or
[tex] \langle x \rangle = \int x \rho(x) dx [/tex]
and so really the probability density [itex]\rho[/itex] is related to the wavefunction, or also called the eigenfunction, in the way I mentioned earlier
[tex] 1 = \int |\psi(x)|^2 dx [/tex]
put it all together
[tex]\langle x \rangle = \int x |\psi(x)|^2 dx[/tex]
which is to say that this gives us the most probable location the wavefunction will collapse to.
In full notation it would be (sometimes people leave the hat off)
\langle \psi | hat{x} \psi \rangle = \int x |\psi(x)|^2 dx

For momentum, let's just relate it back to classical mechanics
[tex]p=\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
just the same in quantum mechanics
[tex]\hat{p} = \frac{d \langle x \rangle}{dt}[/tex]
using some integration by parts and schrodinger's equation we eventually see
[tex]\hat{p} = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

Cool?

sorry to be late. it is really cool!
thanks again!

Related to How measureable parameters associate with operators

1. How do you define measureable parameters?

Measureable parameters are variables or factors that can be quantified or measured in a scientific experiment. These parameters are typically numerical in nature and can be used to describe or explain a particular phenomenon or process.

2. What are some examples of measureable parameters?

Examples of measureable parameters include length, weight, temperature, pH, concentration, and time. These parameters can be measured using various tools and instruments such as rulers, scales, thermometers, pH meters, spectrophotometers, and clocks.

3. How do measureable parameters associate with operators?

Measureable parameters can be influenced or controlled by operators in a scientific experiment. For example, the length of an object can be measured by an operator using a ruler. The operator can also manipulate the length of the object by stretching or compressing it, thus affecting the measureable parameter.

4. Why is it important to measure and record parameters in a scientific experiment?

Measuring and recording parameters is crucial in a scientific experiment as it allows for accurate and objective analysis of the results. By quantifying the parameters, scientists can compare and analyze data to draw conclusions and make informed decisions.

5. How do you ensure the accuracy and reliability of measureable parameters?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to use precise and calibrated instruments for measuring parameters. Additionally, repeated measurements and controls can be used to minimize errors and validate the results. Keeping detailed records and following standardized procedures also contribute to the accuracy and reliability of measureable parameters.