How Many Ways to Select Elements in a 6x5 Array with Constraints?

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to solving a problem involving selecting three elements from a 6x5 array without any two being in the same row or column. The Fundamental Counting Principle is mentioned, but the provided solution differs from the expected solution. It is eventually determined that the original approach did not take into account the fact that the elements must be in different rows and columns, resulting in a solution of 1200 rather than 7200.
gummyshark
1. Given a 6x5 array of unique elements, how many ways can three elements be selected so that no two are in the same row or column?

2. Fundamental Counting Principle?

3. This question was a sample question in the Actuary P1 exam prep I am reviewing. I thought it would be easy enough to use Counting Principle to determine the solution. So, the set of your first choice has 30 elements. Since this eliminates exactly one row and column, the set of your second choice only contains the remaining 4x5 array with 20 elements. And so on to get 12 elements for the third choice. Using FCP to determine the total number of combinations SHOULD therefore yield a solution of 7200. However, the provided solution for this question from the exam prep is different. What have I overlooked?

Physics news on Phys.org
gummyshark said:
1. Given a 6x5 array of unique elements, how many ways can three elements be selected so that no two are in the same row or column?

2. Fundamental Counting Principle?

3. This question was a sample question in the Actuary P1 exam prep I am reviewing. I thought it would be easy enough to use Counting Principle to determine the solution. So, the set of your first choice has 30 elements. Since this eliminates exactly one row and column, the set of your second choice only contains the remaining 4x5 array with 20 elements. And so on to get 12 elements for the third choice. Using FCP to determine the total number of combinations SHOULD therefore yield a solution of 7200. However, the provided solution for this question from the exam prep is different. What have I overlooked?

I also get something very different from your 7200; I just chose the rows and columns independently. What answer was provided in the solution you saw?

The given solution is 1200. What do you mean by selecting rows and columns independently? I don't really understand what is wrong with the way I approached this problem; could you maybe elaborate on what was wrong with my "solution."

gummyshark said:
The given solution is 1200. What do you mean by selecting rows and columns independently? I don't really understand what is wrong with the way I approached this problem; could you maybe elaborate on what was wrong with my "solution."

The provided solution is yours divided by 6 = 3!, and so recognizes that the three choices can be in any order; in other words, you are counting the same choice several times, because the concepts of "first", "second" and "third" are not really relevant.

However, what is particularly frustrating is that I get an answer of 200, because we need to select 3 rows from 6 and 3 columns from 5, giving a total of ##_3C^6 \, _3C^5 = (20)(10) = 200## distinct choices. At the moment I cannot see anything wrong with either argument! I am hoping my morning caffeine kicks in soon.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
However, what is particularly frustrating is that I get an answer of 200, because we need to select 3 rows from 6 and 3 columns from 5, giving a total of ##_3C^6 \, _3C^5 = (20)(10) = 200## distinct choices.

That selects the 9 elements in the three rows and three columns, not 3 elements.

You didn't use the fact that "no two elements are in the same row or column". There are 3! ways of choosing the 3 elements from the 9 (3 choices from the first row, 2 from the second row, 1 from the third), which gives 200 x 6 = 1200 choices.

Last edited:
Ok, yes I think this answers my question! Thanks, all.

Related to How Many Ways to Select Elements in a 6x5 Array with Constraints?

1. What is the Actuary P1 exam?

The Actuary P1 exam is the first exam in the professional series of exams for aspiring actuaries. It covers topics such as probability, financial mathematics, and survival models.

2. How should I prepare for the Actuary P1 exam?

The best way to prepare for the Actuary P1 exam is to start early and create a study schedule. You should also use study materials such as textbooks, practice exams, and online resources. It is also helpful to join study groups or hire a tutor for additional support.

3. How long does it take to pass the Actuary P1 exam?

The average time to pass the Actuary P1 exam is around 6-12 months, depending on your level of knowledge and dedication to studying. However, some individuals may pass the exam in a shorter or longer period of time.

4. Is there a passing score for the Actuary P1 exam?

Yes, the passing score for the Actuary P1 exam is typically around 70%. However, this may vary depending on the difficulty of the exam and the grading scale used by the organization administering the exam.

5. What are the career opportunities after passing the Actuary P1 exam?

Passing the Actuary P1 exam opens up many career opportunities in the field of actuarial science. Some common job titles include actuarial analyst, risk analyst, and insurance underwriter. Actuaries are in high demand in industries such as insurance, finance, and consulting.