How Do Brakes Apply Stopping Force in Physics Problems?

Just remember to always keep track of your signs and units. You got this!In summary, the conversation is about the application of the work-energy theorem in solving a physics problem involving the calculation of force applied by brakes to a moving bicycle. The individual is seeking help and clarification on the steps to calculate the force, and the conversation ends with a message of encouragement for their upcoming test.
guhroovy_dainzaar
I get most of the things in my textbook, such as mgh,Fs and 1/2mv squared. But I don't understand things about stopping force and stuff.

heres a practice question i got(i have a test 2morrow):

A boy of mass 50 kg rides on a bicycle of mass 15 kg at a speed of 15 m/s. He suddenly applies the braked and brings the bicycle to a stop in 25m. What force did the brakes apply to the wheels as he was stopping?

I really don't understand how to do this... please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what was the change in energy of the bicycle? The only energy that is changing here is its kinetic energy, so you can compute the change in energy. (It's negative, btw... always be careful to keep your signs straight!)

The work-energy theorem says that the change in energy of a system is equal to the work applied to the system.

So now that you know the work done by the brakes (and the distance through which it was applied), you can compute the average force applied by the brakes!

?

i is still confused... how do i actually calculate it?

Can you calculate the initial and final kinetic energy?

sorta ish

I can calculate that the enitial kinetic energy is 7312.5 but after that i don't know wot 2 do

Well, the final kinetic energy is 0, right? (speed is 0)

The change in energy, ΔU, is equal to the final energy minus the initial energy. Since kinetic energy is all that is changing, we know that:

ΔU = 0 J - 7312.5 J= -7312.5 J

The work-energy theorem tells us that the work done on the system must therefore be -7312.5 J... can you take it from there?

thanx

thank u so much... I mite actually pass my test tomorrow!
YAY:smile: :wink:

Good luck!

1. What is stopping force in physics?

Stopping force in physics is a measure of the force that is required to bring a moving object to a complete stop. It is influenced by factors such as the mass of the object, its velocity, and the type of surface it is moving on.

2. How is stopping force calculated?

The stopping force can be calculated by using the formula F = mv/t, where F is the stopping force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and t is the time taken to bring the object to a stop.

3. What is the difference between stopping force and friction?

Stopping force and friction are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Stopping force refers to the overall force required to bring an object to a stop, while friction is specifically the force that opposes the motion of an object on a surface.

4. How does stopping force affect the braking distance of a vehicle?

Stopping force plays a crucial role in determining the braking distance of a vehicle. The greater the stopping force, the shorter the braking distance will be. This is why it is important to have efficient braking systems in cars to reduce the risk of accidents.

5. How can stopping force be reduced?

Stopping force can be reduced by decreasing the mass of the object, slowing down its velocity, or by using materials that reduce friction. In some cases, aerodynamic designs can also reduce the overall stopping force required for an object to come to a stop.