How Many Valence Electrons Does Nitrogen Use in an NH4 Bond?

• Thread starter wcui2525
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of valence electrons in an ammonia molecule, with the conclusion being that nitrogen shares 3 electrons with each hydrogen, leaving 2 lone pairs on the nitrogen atom.
wcui2525
I have a school quiz very soon, and I am having much troubles with the reviews. Can you help please.

In the NH4 bond, how many valance electrons does the N use?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No such thing as NH4 (charge is important), and also there is no such thing as "NH4 bond" - in the NH4+ there are four bonds between atoms.

Try to draw the Lewis structure.

I emailed my teacher, and she said that she rephrased the question from an ACE practice test. The original question was "How many valence electrons does the nitrogen atom use to form the bonds between nitrogen and hydrogen in an ammonia molecule?"

Well, do you understand the concept of valence electrons and bonding now, or do you still need help? (I'm taking chemistry at the moment too. ;))

I still need help with this problem.

I know ammonia is
H
|
H - N - H
|
H

Where the - and | represent single bonds, but don't get the valance electrons stuff

No, that is not ammonia. Please check the formula.

Oh, here it is:
Struktur_garis_NH3.jpg

So why the answer is 3? (valance)

Well, how many valence electrons does the Nitrogen atom have prior to bonding? How about the Hydrogens?

Nitrogen has 5 valance before bonding. Hydrogens have 1 each.

Okay. And when each hydrogen bonds to the nitrogen, what happens in that bond? What is each atom doing with its own electrons?

Oh, I get it now. So Nitrogen is sharing 3 electrons, 1 with each hydrogen.

Exactly! Each bond represents a pair of electrons, with one electron given up for sharing by each atom. This leaves 2 of the original 5 valance electrons of Nitrogen left over. They end up being a lone pair, as shown by the two dots at the top of the N in your diagram.

Note that it is "valence", which has nothing to do with the moovie " The man who shot Liberty Valance".

Likes Borek

Related to How Many Valence Electrons Does Nitrogen Use in an NH4 Bond?

1. What is bonding and valence?

Bonding and valence are two concepts that explain how atoms interact with each other to form molecules. Bonding refers to the forces that hold atoms together in a molecule, while valence describes the number of electrons an atom can share or transfer to other atoms to form bonds.

2. How do atoms form bonds?

Atoms form bonds by either sharing electrons with other atoms (covalent bonding) or transferring electrons to other atoms (ionic bonding). Covalent bonds are formed between nonmetal atoms, while ionic bonds are formed between a metal and a nonmetal.

3. What is the importance of bonding and valence in chemistry?

Bonding and valence are crucial concepts in chemistry because they explain how elements combine to form compounds. The type of bond formed between atoms determines the physical and chemical properties of a compound, such as its melting point, boiling point, and reactivity.

4. How do you determine the valence of an atom?

The valence of an atom is determined by the number of valence electrons it has. Valence electrons are the outermost electrons in an atom's electron cloud. The group number of an element on the periodic table usually indicates the number of valence electrons it has (e.g. group 1 elements have 1 valence electron).

5. Can you give an example of bonding and valence in action?

Sodium (Na) and chlorine (Cl) atoms bond together to form the compound sodium chloride (NaCl). Na has one valence electron and Cl has seven, so they form an ionic bond where Na transfers its electron to Cl. This results in a stable compound with the chemical formula NaCl, which we know as table salt.