How many turns to produce power on a spinning coil

In summary, The conversation discusses the calculation of the number of turns required on a coil to produce 10V at approximately 5W in a low magnetic field. The size of the coil and its placement in the magnetic field are also considered, and the use of a motor design calculator is suggested. A potential issue with voltage loss due to coil resistance is mentioned, and the potential for experimentation with different coil orientations is discussed. However, it is concluded that the magnetic field may be too weak to achieve the desired results.
Donglin
Does anyone have formulae to calculate the number of turns required on a coil to produce 10V at approx 5W.
I wish to have a coil spinning on a 16" diameter former in a 0.25 gauss magnetic field at a minimum of 2.2Hz. I need to be able to work out the size of coil and number of turns to produce approx 5W at 10-15V which will be DC rectified (frequency is not important).
The former is provided with a mechanical rotational force of between 2.2 - 16.6Hz. The magnetic field will vary between 0.25 - 0.65 gauss, but will be constant and parallel across the 16" former.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google "motor design calculator". There are many of them.

:welcome:

Thanks Anorlunda. I tried that but it gave me loads of motor calculators and I need generator calculations.
See attached. A coil on a rotating former in a low magnetic field. How small can I make the coil but still generate 10V at 5W approx.

Attachments

• Coil Generator.png
    Coil Generator.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 519
Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps see...
http://www.6pie.com/faradayslaw.php

One thing to watch out for is the resistance of the coil. You may need to correct for the voltage loss.

I should add that that web page isn't great but should give the basic idea.

Likes jim hardy
Hi CWatters,
That is great. I have looked at this, the issue I find with all these types of data is the way the coil moves in the magnetic field.
The diagrams show a coil as a single loop where one side is moving from N to S while the other side is moving from S to N of the magnetic field.
In my case, the coil is moving in it's entirety through the N to S field before then moving through the S to N field.
Without experimenting, what is the best orientation of the coil to get the best performance? What is the smallest size I can make the coil without losing the power required (although this is small).

I did a ball park calculation using the equation from the above link. I assumed the voltage required was 20V, the coil diameter was 0.1m (4") and it rotates at 2Hz (120rpm). I got a huge and impractical figure of 5 million turns. Due to the way your coil moves this would be an under estimate. Sorry but I think the mag field is way too weak to do what you want.

Thank you. I will have to rethink the strategy.
Was the equation you used N=-1*(-V/Δ((tesla*area meters squared)/seconds))?

Yes

I been working on portable generator for the last couple of months and this is what I came up with
The rotor has about 100 turns to produce 110vac so it's close to 1 turn per volt
I'm still working on it so I hope I am right
Hope I'm right
Tady

Related to How many turns to produce power on a spinning coil

1. How does a spinning coil produce power?

A spinning coil produces power through the process of electromagnetic induction. When a magnetic field passes through a coil, it induces a flow of electrons, creating an electric current.

2. How many turns does a coil need to produce power?

The number of turns on a coil can vary depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the desired amount of power. Generally, the more turns a coil has, the greater the output of power.

3. How fast does the coil need to spin to produce power?

The speed of the coil's rotation also affects the amount of power produced. The faster the coil spins, the greater the rate of change in the magnetic field, resulting in a higher output of power.

4. What materials are used to make a spinning coil for power production?

Coils used for power production are typically made of a conductive material, such as copper or aluminum. The core of the coil may also be made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, to enhance the magnetic field.

5. Can a spinning coil produce sustainable power?

Yes, a spinning coil can produce sustainable power as long as there is a continuous source of rotation and a stable magnetic field. This is often achieved through the use of renewable energy sources, such as wind or hydro power.