How Many States Can N Particles in a Divided Box Assume?

In summary, the box contains a gas with distinguishable particles that move back and forth through a hole in a partition. For part a, the total number of states is 2^N, where N is the number of particles, and for part b, the multiplicity is 2^N/N!.
Fourier mn

Homework Statement

N Particles in a box
A box consists of a gas that we'll treat as distinguishable particles. The box is divided into equal parts (right-left), by a partition with a small hole in it. Assume the particles are non-interacting and move back and forth between the two sides through a hole in a statistically independent fashion.
a. if each distinguishable particle is considered to have two states, L and R, depending on its position in side L or side R, what is the total number of different states of all the particles considered together?
b. for a given number of total particles N (with half in the right side and half in the left side), what is the multiplicity of states possible in terms of N, N right, N left?

so for part a. I think that the total number of states is (2)^N because each event is an independent event (each particle)-- like tossing a coin?! There are too states that all of the particles are in one of the sides (one left +one right).
For the multiplicity I got g= N!/(2(N/2)!). Are my assumptions correct?
I don't know how to do the second part.

I'll appreciate any suggestions,

Thank you,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

For part a, your assumption is correct. Since each particle can be in either the left or right side, and there are N particles, the total number of states is 2^N.

For part b, the multiplicity can be calculated using the binomial coefficient formula, which is nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of particles and r is the number of particles in one side. In this case, n=N and r=N/2. Therefore, the multiplicity is N!/(N/2)!(N/2)!, which simplifies to 2^N/N!.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Many States Can N Particles in a Divided Box Assume?

What is the "N Particles in a box" experiment?

The "N Particles in a box" experiment is a theoretical physics experiment that involves studying the behavior of a system of particles confined within a box. This experiment is often used to model and understand the behavior of gases, liquids, and other complex systems.

What is the purpose of the "N Particles in a box" experiment?

The purpose of the "N Particles in a box" experiment is to understand how particles interact with one another and how they behave when confined within a limited space. This experiment helps scientists to better understand the fundamental principles of thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

How do scientists conduct the "N Particles in a box" experiment?

Scientists conduct the "N Particles in a box" experiment using computer simulations and mathematical models. They input the properties and behaviors of the particles into these models and observe how they interact and behave within the confined space of the box. In some cases, physical experiments can also be conducted in a controlled environment.

What are some real-world applications of the "N Particles in a box" experiment?

The "N Particles in a box" experiment has many real-world applications, including understanding the behavior of gases and liquids, developing new materials and technologies, and studying the properties of biological systems. This experiment also has applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.

What are some limitations of the "N Particles in a box" experiment?

One limitation of the "N Particles in a box" experiment is that it is a simplified model and does not account for all real-world factors and complexities. In addition, the behavior of particles in a box may differ from their behavior in an open environment. Furthermore, the results of this experiment may not always accurately reflect the behavior of real systems due to the limitations of the model and simulation techniques.