How many stars in the Solar neighbourhood

In summary, the conversation is about resources for finding the number of stars of each spectral type in the solar neighbourhood. Suggestions include a 3D model, a website with maps and a list of the nearest stars, a computer game, and a computer readable table. The conversation ends with the suggestion to google "star catalog."
NoobixCube
Hi all,
I was wanting to know of any resources out there that can tell me the how many stars of each spectral type there are in the solar neighbourhood.
Any suggestions would be rad!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
NoobixCube said:
Hi all,
I was wanting to know of any resources out there that can tell me the how many stars of each spectral type there are in the solar neighbourhood.
Any suggestions would be rad!

I pinched this map of the local Stellar Neighborhood from a 3D model I found somewhere
http://www.davesbrain.ca/science/gliese/index.html
I'll try to remember where.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you posted the wrong link there. That link talks about an exoplanet...

Here's a list of the 26 nearest stars: http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/extra/nearest.html

(google "nearest stars")

NoobixCube said:
I think you posted the wrong link there. That link talks about an exoplanet...
I was referring to the specific map on that page. It shows stellar class and location for the 100 or so stars in our neighborhood. I got that data from somewher, I just can't remeber where right now.

Last edited:
Elite 3: the pc game has an entire map of much of the Galaxy in painstaking detail.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but is there not a computer readable table out the with spectral type and star name et cetera?

NoobixCube said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, but is there not a computer readable table out the with spectral type and star name et cetera?

There are, it will just take a bit of hunting around to find one.

How about this?: http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/doc/ecatinfo.html

Have you tried googling "star catalog"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How many stars in the Solar neighbourhood

1. How do scientists estimate the number of stars in the Solar neighbourhood?

Scientists estimate the number of stars in the Solar neighbourhood by using a variety of telescopes and instruments to observe and measure the positions, brightness, and distances of stars in our galaxy. They then use statistical methods to extrapolate this data and estimate the total number of stars in the Solar neighbourhood.

2. What is the estimated number of stars in the Solar neighbourhood?

The estimated number of stars in the Solar neighbourhood is around 100 billion. This number is constantly being revised and updated as new data and technologies become available.

3. Are all the stars in the Solar neighbourhood visible to the naked eye?

No, not all the stars in the Solar neighbourhood are visible to the naked eye. While some nearby stars are bright enough to be seen without the aid of a telescope, many are too dim or too far away to be visible without specialized equipment.

4. How do scientists classify and categorize the stars in the Solar neighbourhood?

Scientists classify and categorize stars in the Solar neighbourhood based on their size, temperature, brightness, and chemical composition. This helps them understand the different stages of a star's life and how they evolve over time.

5. Are there any new discoveries or advancements in understanding the stars in the Solar neighbourhood?

Yes, there are constantly new discoveries and advancements in understanding the stars in the Solar neighbourhood. With the help of advanced telescopes and instruments, scientists are able to gather more detailed data and make new observations that help expand our knowledge of the stars in our galactic neighbourhood.