How Many Six-Digit Numbers Have Three Even and Three Odd Digits?

• Thread starter Vineeth T
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutation
In summary, the problem asks for the number of different six-digit numbers with three even digits and three odd digits, using the principles of counting. Four cases are considered, but the correct answer can be found by breaking it into two cases: the first digit is odd or the first digit is even. The total number of possible numbers is 281250.
Vineeth T

Homework Statement

How many different six-digit numbers are there whose three digits are even and three digits are odd?

Homework Equations

No equations are required.We only need the principles of counting.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to split into 4 cases:
case I:there is no zero in the six digit number.such numbers =125*64*20
case II:there is one zero in the number.such numbers =125*16*5*10
case III:there are two zeroes in the number.such numbers =125*4*10*4
case IV:there are three zeroes in the number.such numbers =125*10
So the final answer will be 281250.
But the correct answer is 179550.
Can anyone show me where I have over counted ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did it a completely different way but get your answer. I break it into two cases:
1) The first digit is odd. In that case, there are 5 possible digits (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) for the first digit. There are then five possible digits for the other 5 digits as well. Also there are [itex]\begin{pmatrix}5 \\ 3\end{pmatrix}= 10[/itex] ways to place the three even digits in those 5 digits. There are [itex]10(5^6)= 156250[/itex] ways in this case.

2) The first digit is even. In this case there are 4 possible digits (2, 4, 6, 8) since the first digit cannot be 0. There are again five possible digits for the other 5 digits and 10 ways to place the three odd digits in those 5 digts. There are [itex]10(5^5)4= 125000[/itex] ways in this case.

Together there are 156250+ 125000= 281250 ways to do this.

grinding this out with a simple program confirms the total is 281250:

Code:
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
int i, j, k, even, odd, total;

total = 0;
    for(i = 100000; i < 1000000; i++){
        j = i;
        even = odd = 0;
        for(k = 0; k < 6; k++){ 
            if(j&1)
                odd += 1;
            else
                even += 1;
            j /= 10;
        }
        if((odd == 3) && (even == 3))
            total += 1;
    }
    printf("%d\n", total);
    return(0);
}

Then is it confirm that the answer is 281250.
But the answer is given as 179550.(source:Problems In Mathematics With Hints And Solutions by V Govrov)
Thanks for everyone.

HallsofIvy said:
Also there are [itex]\begin{pmatrix}5 \\ 3\end{pmatrix}= 10[/itex] ways to place the three even digits in those 5 digits.
I think of this as the number of permutations for a multiset of 2 odds and 3 evens which is
[tex]\frac{5!}{2! \ 3!} = 10[/tex]
{OOEEE, OEOEE, OEEOE, OEEEO, EOOEE, EOEOE, EOEEO, EEOOE, EEOEO, EEEOO}

Vineeth T said:
Then is it confirm that the answer is 281250.
Assming that there isn't some additional condition that wasn't mentioned in the problem statement. If you understand the program example, does it match the problem statement?

You could also consider the number of cases allowing leading zeros - the number of case with leading zeros which is:

[tex]\frac{6!}{3! \ 3!} 5^6 \ - \ \frac{5!}{2! \ 3!} 5^5 = 312500 - 31250 = 281250[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to How Many Six-Digit Numbers Have Three Even and Three Odd Digits?

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order. It is often used in mathematics and statistics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given situation.

2. What makes this permutation question tough?

This permutation question may be considered tough because it likely involves a complex scenario with multiple variables and conditions, making it challenging to determine the correct arrangement or combination of objects.

3. How do you approach solving a tough permutation question?

One approach to solving a tough permutation question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable problems. This could involve identifying any given conditions or restrictions, listing out all possible outcomes, and using mathematical formulas or techniques to determine the final answer.

4. Are there any common mistakes people make when attempting to solve permutation questions?

Yes, some common mistakes include not accounting for all possible outcomes, misinterpreting given conditions or restrictions, and incorrectly applying mathematical formulas or techniques.

5. How can understanding permutations be useful in real-life situations?

Understanding permutations can be useful in real-life situations, as it allows us to calculate the number of possible outcomes and make informed decisions. For example, it can be used in probability calculations, creating secure passwords, and optimizing the arrangement of items in a store or warehouse.