How many revolutions per second does a bike wheel make?

• Thread starter ortegavs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rev Wheel
In summary, the problem asks how many revolutions a bike wheel makes per second given that its radius is 0.25m and its velocity is 10m/s. The solution involves converting tangential velocity to angular velocity, which is then used to determine the number of rotations in one second. The answer is 20/π revolutions per second.
ortegavs

Homework Statement

If the radius of the wheel on a bike is .25m, and has a velocity of 10m/s, how many revolutions does the wheel make each second?

Homework Equations

2πr/rev

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem in terms of pi. First each rev moves the wheel 2πr which is 2π(1/4)=1/2π meters. I then divided 10m/s by 1/2π meters and that is where I get stuck. Here is what I did.

I first setup the problem and divided the bottom part by 2revs/2revs to cancel it out from the bottom. I then divided the bottom again this time by π m/ π m to remove π from bottom. I then divide 10 by 2 to get the final answer which is wrong because it has the wrong units.
=10m/s/1π/2rev x2rev/2rev
=10m/s*2rev/1π x π/π
=10m *π/s*2rev
= 5m*π/s*rev
My guess is that I have to use order of operations and do the top division first, then the bottom, then divide them by each other. 10/1= 10 , .5/1=.5 and 10/.5 =20. The answer given is 20/ π revs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't really understand the second part of what you were doing as it seems overly complicated for this simple problem.

But, actually just based on your initial attempt (first paragraph) I think that is the correct answer.
Because you had (1/2)pi meters/revolution. So when you then divide 10m/s by this you get:
20/pi and the units are: (meters/second) / (meters/revolution)
= (meters*revolution) / (meters*second)
= (revolutions) / (second)
which is what you want, so the answer should be 20/pi revolutions in a single second.
However, the easiest way to do this, is to just realize that if we assume the bike moves without the tires sliding, then the velocity of the bike should be equal to the tangential velocity of any point on the wheel. Then you can convert from tangential velocity to angular velocity by dividing by the radius. Then all you have to do is find how many rotations it goes through in 1 second using that angular velocity.

(which also gives 20/pi BTW)

Last edited:
You can also use unit analysis (rev/2πr)(10m/s) which gives 20 rev/π s. Its so frustrating that I spend 30 minutes on such a simple problem. The other solution posted also checks, thanks.

Related to How many revolutions per second does a bike wheel make?

What is a revolution?

A revolution is defined as a complete and full turn of an object around a central axis or point.

How is a revolution different from a rotation?

A revolution refers to a complete turn around a fixed point, while a rotation refers to a partial turn or spin around an axis.

What determines the number of revolutions a wheel makes?

The number of revolutions a wheel makes is determined by the circumference of the wheel and the distance it travels. This can be calculated using the formula: number of revolutions = distance traveled / circumference of the wheel.

Does the size of the wheel affect the number of revolutions it makes?

Yes, the size of the wheel does affect the number of revolutions it makes. A larger wheel will cover more distance with each revolution compared to a smaller wheel.

Can the number of revolutions a wheel makes change?

Yes, the number of revolutions a wheel makes can change depending on factors such as the speed and direction of the wheel, as well as any external forces acting on the wheel.