How many questions can I post?

• Thread starter ruskointhehizzy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their physics homework and wondering how much they can post on an online forum without violating ethical standards. The other participants suggest using additional resources and following forum guidelines, and remind the student to only post one problem at a time. They also mention the availability of on-campus tutoring services.
ruskointhehizzy
Hi guys my professor assigns about 10-14 problems a week and I need help with about half of them, they are pretty hard and involve a lot. I just was wondering how much I could post here ethically - I am new here so I want to ask first before I post ten problems.
Thanks!

Likes berkeman and ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry I know it's a dumb question I just don't want to upset anyone here.

It's okay, I'm fairly new here also. I would say that as long as you are actually trying to do the work, follow the guidelines, and follow through with the people who reply to your question (showing that you understand and thanking them) you don't need to worry much about posting too much.
I would also recommend that you try to use any other resources you can find (such as textbook or physics websites) in an attempt to figure the questions out on your own. You should also look through other posts to see if there is anything you can help answer, and search to see if other people have had similar problems. Especially if your teacher is grading for accuracy, and just to make sure you understand how to do the problem correctly, you can always do as I have occasionally done (ex https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/swimmer-off-tower-velocity-and-force.928071/ ) and post the question with all of your work and answers to see if you got the correct answer.
Hope this eases your worrying.

Likes Ophiolite, ISamson and davenn
Post as many as you need help with, but note that the forum rules require you to use the template which includes a section showing your own attempt to solve the problem.

Please post one problem at a time using the Homework Help Template, showing the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a Solution. After you have been able to mark your problem thread as Solved (using the check mark), you can post another thread with your next question, and so on. Please only have one active Homework thread going at a time here. As you get better at your schoolwork (with our help), you will not need to post as many Homework threads, probably. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint and Wanting to Learn
Wanting to Learn said:
It's okay, I'm fairly new here also. I would say that as long as you are actually trying to do the work, follow the guidelines, and follow through with the people who reply to your question (showing that you understand and thanking them) you don't need to worry much about posting too much.
I would also recommend that you try to use any other resources you can find (such as textbook or physics websites) in an attempt to figure the questions out on your own. You should also look through other posts to see if there is anything you can help answer, and search to see if other people have had similar problems. Especially if your teacher is grading for accuracy, and just to make sure you understand how to do the problem correctly, you can always do as I have occasionally done (ex https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/swimmer-off-tower-velocity-and-force.928071/ ) and post the question with all of your work and answers to see if you got the correct answer.
Hope this eases your worrying.
okay that sounds great - I would love to be able to check my work as well! Thank you for the detailed response. I have been reading and taking good notes - and going to other resources but some of the conceptual problems just have me stumped.

berkeman said:
Please post one problem at a time using the Homework Help Template, showing the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a Solution. After you have been able to mark your problem thread as Solved (using the check mark), you can post another thread with your next question, and so on. Please only have one active Homework thread going at a time here. As you get better at your schoolwork (with our help), you will not need to post as many Homework threads, probably. :smile:
That's the goal! Thank man - I will make sure to follow the template and show my work so far- but unfortunately there is a problem that I am completely stuck on - so are my fellow classmates, we don't even know where to start. I don't want the answer I need some help thinking through it so I hope this is the right place for that. Thank you and take care.

CWatters said:
Post as many as you need help with, but note that the forum rules require you to use the template which includes a section showing your own attempt to solve the problem.
okay thank you I will make sure to follow the template.

ruskointhehizzy said:
Hi guys my professor assigns about 10-14 problems a week and I need help with about half of them, they are pretty hard and involve a lot. I just was wondering how much I could post here ethically - I am new here so I want to ask first before I post ten problems.
Thanks!

Out of curiosity, don't you have on-campus services or some tutoring resources at your school to help you with something like that? I would imagine that having a live, in-person help is a lot more useful, not to mention, easier, than seeking help on an internet forum.

Zz.

Likes symbolipoint
ZapperZ said:
Out of curiosity, don't you have on-campus services or some tutoring resources at your school to help you with something like that? I would imagine that having a live, in-person help is a lot more useful, not to mention, easier, than seeking help on an internet forum.

Zz.
yeah but there are always tuns of people there - my professors office hours are full of people and the open slots for tutors are full of people too - can't really get one on one help. I have attempted every resource available, which are useful - I still go to the physics tutoring sections but it's only on Thursdays from 4-6pm. I still go to the office hours but it's only Wed from 12p-1pm. The assignments are taking people in the class about an hour a problem and he assigns about 15 of them. I think these forums are built for people in my situation lol. This stuff is not easy and I am putting forth all the effort I can yet still having trouble. We are only a few weeks in so maybe those sections will have less people over the quarter? I am not complaining I love it I just need a little help with this stuff. My lab group and discussion group is awesome - we have the early sections which everyone dropped so it is only us 4 - we have the entire lab to ourselves and we use it lol - but during the 2 hour lab we have to get done the work and during discussion they assign us different problems and our schedules conflict outside of class. We have been working together more on the problems especially this problem set so that is very good. My group partners are great and probably my most valuable resource in the course. Good question, I would have asked the same thing. Also I come from community college and transferred as a junior - this is the first time I actually needed tutoring, in fact at my cc I was a math tutor. I aced every single course there - I love this stuff but physics is a whole new ball park for me. I didn't take it in hs and this is my first experience with it. The UC campus is huge and way different from my CC course and I am still getting acclimated to it. You bring up a good point and I think I am going to email my professor to see if I have any other available resources that I am not utilizing.

Just don't make a thread about various topics; different topic different thread.
That should work fine.

ruskointhehizzy said:
okay thank you I will make sure to follow the template.
Also, do not make multiple posts in quick reply to multiple replies, either use the multi quote function, or use the "edit" button to add a response to a previous post, otherwise you are just cluttering up the thread with unnecessary posts. This was the third post in less than 2 minutes. No harm, just a friendly hint. :smile: If you continue to do it after this friendly hint, then it gets ugly. :biggrin:

Likes phinds
ruskointhehizzy,
I'm just curious, exactly which course are you struggling with?

symbolipoint said:
ruskointhehizzy,
I'm just curious, exactly which course are you struggling with?
Physics 9A at UC Davis.

ruskointhehizzy said:
Physics 9A at UC Davis.
I did my undergrad at UC Davis and loved the Physics 9 set of courses! :smile:

berkeman said:
I did my undergrad at UC Davis and loved the Physics 9 set of courses! :smile:
oh that's awesome! what was your major? I am going for computer science. I love it too and have learned a tun just not used to the UC atmosphere yet and this is my first experience with physics so it is very challenging for me. I actually only started learning math in 2015 - I started from the very very bottom. This is all still relatively new to me but I really love it.

I got my BSEE/CS back in 1979 (I forget exactly what the combo degree was called back then). I really loved my physics classes, but ended up going the engineering route. (You can read more about that in my biography thread, linked to in my Profile).

I took all 5 classes 9A-9E, and loved them. :smile:

I took my kids to Picnic Day every year up until they graduated high school and went off to college themselves. I really enjoyed UC Davis for Undergrad.

Likes ruskointhehizzy
berkeman said:
raduated high school and went off to college themselves. I really enjoyed UC Davis for Undergrad.
that's really awesome - going to read right now. They have computer science (BS in CS) and computer science and engineering (cs/cse) now. Also just computer engineering (CE). I am just CS, it was really hard to get into, I needed to pretty much ace every class at my cc - I talked to the uc rep and she told me they are making it hard to get into because so many people are applying for it.

Likes berkeman
I read that interview and it was really interesting! My cousin is in high school and is a second degree brown belt in kick boxing,that was cool to find out you did the same, I urge you to get back into it!
I thought your answer to this question "What were some of your biggest challenges in completing your Masters in electrical engineering?" was really motivational man. I went through the same thing I went to HS in Visalia and it was a small school, I then got Ryder's Sydrome which gave me RA when I was 17 going onto 18 so I graduated from the independent study school and pretty much learned nothing. When I went to school at ARC in Sac I went for nursing and did so bad I got put on progress dismissal. I took a year off and decided I wanted to go for video game development because it is something I knew that without a doubt, I would love to do. Then I found out they usually require a BCS for that, so I just decided to buckle down, as you did and work really hard. I ended up bringing a 1.6 gpa to a 3.8 and got accepted to transfer to UCD where I just started this fall. To hear that you went through something so similar and came through the other end, so proud of your work,enjoying your job's, getting an offer like that, etc etc. It was really motivation and inspiring to read. It has been hard to adjust and I have been feeling like I can't do it, for reasons I don't even know - to know you did it makes a difference in the way I feel. I feel like I can do it too.

Thanks for coming to this thread and being so kind! It is really nice to meet a UCD alumni in a similar field. That's awesome you worked at HP there is one in Roseville I wouldn't mind working at :P

Likes berkeman

Related to How many questions can I post?

1. How many questions can I post in a day?

The number of questions you can post in a day depends on the platform you are using. Some platforms have a limit on the number of questions you can post in a day, while others do not have any restrictions. It is always a good idea to check the guidelines of the platform before posting multiple questions.

2. Is there a limit to the number of questions I can post in total?

Again, this depends on the platform you are using. Some platforms may have a limit on the total number of questions you can post, while others may not. It is important to check the guidelines of the platform to avoid any violations.

3. Can I post the same question multiple times?

It is generally not recommended to post the same question multiple times, as it can clutter the platform and make it difficult for other users to find relevant information. If you are not satisfied with the answers you received, you can edit your original question or post a follow-up question.

4. Are there any rules for the format of the questions I can post?

Different platforms may have different rules for the format of questions. Some may require you to provide a clear and specific title, while others may have guidelines for including images or links in your question. It is important to familiarize yourself with the guidelines of the platform before posting a question.

5. Can I post questions on any topic?

Most platforms allow users to post questions on a wide range of topics, as long as they are relevant and appropriate. However, it is always a good idea to check the guidelines of the platform to ensure that your question falls within the scope of the platform.