How many possible Grainger part numbers?

• Thread starter opmal7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, Grainger has millions of possible part numbers that are generated using a combination of letters and numbers, and are unique to each product. These part numbers can be used to search for products on the company's website or catalog, but do not hold any specific pattern or meaning.
opmal7
If anyone is not familiar with Grainger, they are an industrial supply company that sells just about everything you can imagine. I've always been particularly impressed by the fact that even though they carry so many parts, their part numbers are all 5 digits. I believe the first digit is always a number, and the next 4 digits are any combination of numbers and letters.

I'd like to see the math showing how many possible part numbers Grainger can have with this system.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
10x36x36x36x36=16796160.

Last edited:

Related to How many possible Grainger part numbers?

1. How many possible Grainger part numbers are there?

The exact number of possible Grainger part numbers is difficult to determine, as the company regularly adds new products and retires old ones. However, it is estimated that there are millions of possible part numbers.

2. How are Grainger part numbers generated?

Grainger part numbers are typically generated using a combination of letters and numbers, and may also include special characters. The specific combination and length of the part number may vary depending on the product type and category.

3. Are Grainger part numbers unique?

Yes, each Grainger part number is unique and is assigned to a specific product. This helps to ensure accurate ordering and tracking of products.

4. Can I search for a Grainger product using its part number?

Yes, you can search for a specific Grainger product using its part number on the company's website or through their catalog. This can be a helpful tool for quickly finding a specific product.

5. Are there any patterns or meanings behind Grainger part numbers?

No, Grainger part numbers do not follow a specific pattern or hold any meaning. They are simply a unique identifier for a product and do not provide any information about the product itself.