How many places in the solar system have liquid water?

In summary, there are likely a half dozen or more moons in the solar system that have significant quantities of liquid water, with Europa, Enceladus, Ganymede, Callisto, and Dione being the most probable candidates and Rhea, Mimas, Titan, and Tethys being possible candidates. Other factors such as tidal massage and geothermal activity may also play a role in the existence of liquid water. Additionally, while Mars may have had liquid water in the past and still has frozen water, its current availability in liquid form is uncertain.
dimensionless
How many places in the solar system do think have liquid water in significant quantities(I would consider the quantities on Enceladus to be significant, and the quantities on Mars to be insignificant)?

I'd bet there are a half dozen or more moons that have liquid water, but does anyone else, possibly more knowledgeable than myself want to make a guestimate?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
anyone want to take a stab?

I'll start a list.

Probable:

Europa
Enceladus
Ganymede
Callisto
Dione

Possible:

Rhea
Mimas
Titan
Tethys

dimensionless said:
anyone want to take a stab?

I'll start a list.

Probable:

Europa
Enceladus
Ganymede
Callisto
Dione

Possible:

Rhea
Mimas
Titan
Tethys

I hope you get a decent response to your question. I believe you are right at least about the top list, but my reaction is that it is probably limited to moons of Jupiter and Saturn that are subjected to a TIDAL MASSAGE by their fellow moons. Would you agree? or could you propose some general conditions? So we don't have to work with lists of moons but can think in terms of some general requirements.

And the question would always be "how deep do you have to go?"

Uranus, with 13 moons, might also be a good candidate. I can not comment about comets though. A tidal massage is probably the most likely means, although I wouldn't rule out geothermal.

I'm not totally sure about my list. I'm made it by looking for smooth surfaces and evidence of plate tectonics. I might, in some instances, have some difficulty distinguishing plate tectonics from other types of geologic formations.

Personally I'm not so interested in the depth. My primary interest is the volume. This is the reason, Mars was not put on the list.

Me, I'd put Callisto and Dione as possible (not even sure Dione would rate that).

For sure there is 'liquid water' in Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune - for 'liquid water' all you need is the right combo of temperature, pressure, and abundance; isn't there a layer (maybe more than one) in the atmosphere of all these where water clouds can form?

Titan

That's liquid hydrocarbons, not water.

What about Mars?I know it doesn't have water but it did millons of years ago and there might be frozen water still there.

scott1 said:
What about Mars?I know it doesn't have water but it did millons of years ago and there might be frozen water still there.
There is definitely still water ice on Mars (major component of its ice caps). The current question is whether there's underground water (and whether that occasionally comes to the surface in liquid form).

Related to How many places in the solar system have liquid water?

1. How many places in the solar system have liquid water?

As of now, scientists have confirmed the presence of liquid water on only three places in the solar system - Earth, Mars, and Saturn's moon Enceladus. However, there is evidence to suggest that liquid water may also exist on Jupiter's moon Europa and Saturn's moon Titan.

2. What makes these places able to have liquid water?

The presence of liquid water is determined by a combination of factors such as temperature, atmospheric pressure, and the chemical composition of the planet or moon. Earth has a suitable temperature range and atmospheric pressure to maintain liquid water on its surface. Mars and the icy moons of Saturn have subsurface liquid water due to the presence of heat sources such as geothermal activity and tidal forces.

3. Is liquid water necessary for life to exist?

While liquid water is essential for life as we know it, it is not the only factor. Other conditions such as a stable source of energy and a suitable atmosphere are also necessary. However, liquid water is a crucial element for the development and sustenance of life on Earth.

4. How do scientists detect the presence of liquid water on other planets or moons?

Scientists use various methods to detect the presence of liquid water on other planets or moons, such as remote sensing techniques, spacecraft observations, and analyzing data from orbiters and landers. For example, on Mars, scientists have used satellite images and lander data to confirm the presence of subsurface liquid water.

5. Are there any ongoing missions to explore these places with liquid water?

Yes, there are several ongoing and planned missions to explore these places with liquid water. NASA's Mars Perseverance rover is currently searching for signs of past microbial life on Mars, while the Europa Clipper mission is set to launch in the mid-2020s to study Jupiter's moon Europa. The Dragonfly mission, scheduled to launch in 2026, will explore Saturn's moon Titan, which is believed to have liquid hydrocarbon lakes on its surface.